Old GE Oil Burner... How to Bleed?

Old 10-24-06, 01:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Old GE Oil Burner... How to Bleed?

This one is a doozy, so read carefully.

I have an old coal furnace converted to oil. I have two oil tanks connected together to drain evenly. On top of one of the two tanks is the oil line, which goes vertically up about 1 - 2 feet to a regulator. The oil line then comes out of the regulator and goes vertically up another 4 feet to the ceiling, then travels across the ceiling 8 feet before going down 7 feet to the oil burner. There are no bleeder valves. Only fittings in the oil line.

There is a filter in the regulator. I took it out, cleaned it, and put it back in. I'm fairly certain that doing that has resulted in air getting into the oil line. (Keep in mind that the oil line then travels upwards a couple feet after the regulator.) Now we are not getting oil to the oil burner. The pump in the oil burner doesn't seem strong enough to pull the oil up, over, and then down to the burner now, most likely because of air in the oil line.

We do have some kind of model number for the oil burner. It is GE DB20B. A simple online search using the number has resulted in no information of any kind about it.

My main point... Is there any way to bleed the oil line to get the air out?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-24-06, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
GE Burner

I think what you have is actually a Ducane burner. Please take a picture of it & post on photobucket or similar photo hosting web site & provide a link here. I can tell you if it is really a GE or a Ducane with a GE label. A shot of the oil piping including the "regulator" would also help.

Old 10-24-06, 08:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Im with Grady Id like to see a picture of it. Can you say why they went up and over head with the oil line to the burner????

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: