Oil Heat Thermostat

Old 11-16-06, 11:33 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil Heat Thermostat

We just moved in to a home with oil heat. It is a new and efficient low pressure steam system but have two questions.

1. Are there any programmable thermostats that can replace the old-style mercury thermostat dial? We want to be as efficient as possible and is difficult to remember to change the temp 2x every day. Not to mention it takes some ramp-up time and dont want such cold mornings.

2. How can we even out the heat in the house? The radiators closest to the furnace heat the rooms well above the thermostat settings. If we lower the temp to accomodate those rooms, then the further rooms (where the thermostat is) are too cold to occupy.

Thanks.

Old 11-16-06, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say what all you have there.Do you have any valves in the lines any where ??? Like you couks clost down some?
Not to mention it takes some ramp-up time and dont want such cold mornings.

Does the tstat turn the burner on and off or a pump on the boiler???
Post back with what you have there and pictures will help.

Old 11-16-06, 11:51 AM
H
more...

The system is about 80 years old. When I change the thermostat it turns on the furnace. There is also a thermostat on the boiler, but assume that is for the bioler temp.

I did notice some valves on the radiators in some of the rooms, but they dont seem to do anything. Do all the radiators need ot be flushed at any point?

Old 11-16-06, 12:50 PM
programmable thermostat

i replaced my old style with a hunter programmable thermostat for about $20.00 at walmart. i actually had 3 of the old style that i changed out with this brand, they have been installed for 3 years now and i have had no problems with them. you can set them for 4 different times weekdays and also on the weekends. they are also sold at lowes, but i found them cheaper at walmart.

Old 11-16-06, 03:05 PM
Is it a single pipe steam system?

The valve maybe worn out, and wont' seal anymore.. You may have to get a plumber in to look at that.

Newer Honeywell T-stat has a smart recovery where it learns how long it takes to heat the home. Let say it takes 45 min, to bring up to temp, the t-stat will start the boiler about 45 min early to warm the temp at you want the t-stat to be at 7am.

I strongly prefer the Honeywell FocusPro or VisionPro, otherwise any Honeywell will be fine.. Don't go with off brand like Hunter or Lux.

Lot of these newer programeble t-stat wil have the cool and fan switch. They will still work for you syste. just won't be used.. just heat and off.

When you do install the t-stat, make sure you follow the set up menu.

Old 11-17-06, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Balancing heat

If each rad has an air vent, there are adjustable air vents by which you can increase or decrease the venting rate & thus the heating rate.

Old 11-17-06, 07:04 PM
steam heat

This book is a good guide to understanding how steam heat systems work:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/shopcart/product.cfm?category=2-109

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: