Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Oil furnace comes on, then goes on, Have to push reset button to get it going again

Oil furnace comes on, then goes on, Have to push reset button to get it going again

Old 11-27-06, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have an old Sears oil furnace model number 867.745930
I have not been able to find any info on this furnace, I guess it's just so old there's little info available about it. About a week we turned the thermostat up and it ran for about 15 seconds then quit. We pushed the reset button and it started again and ran for awhile, long enough to warm the house up. But once the time come for the furnace to kick on again, it didn't. Again, we had to push the reset button. Now anytime we want heat we have to hit the reset button just to get it going, but it's getting to where it's not always working.

We are having someone look at it tomorrow, that's the quickest they could get here. But if it's something we can fix ourselves we would love to do that.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-06, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When was the last time you had a full service/tune up done to this furnace?

Oil burners should be serviced every year. but no longer than 2 years.

I wouldn't mess with it. if the burner will not stay on right after you hit the reset button, do NOT hit it more than twice.