York Diamond 80 wont light

Old 12-01-06, 12:24 PM
York Diamond 80 wont light

I have a York Diamond 80 furnace about 6 years old or so.

A few months back the blower motor stopped working. Someone came out and "hard wired" the blower motor so it would work, but was always on.

Current problem:

We just tried to use the furnace for the first time this year and it wont light. The LED blinks 4 times. Anyone know what this means?

The blower motor of course is running, and as soon as I switch the Thermostat to Heat, the flue fan kicks on. The ignitor does not glow.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-06, 01:49 PM
Is the LED mounted on the horizontal panel right under the burners, or do you look at it through an observation port in the blower door? I know York used both approaches. Usually, somewhere on the furnace there should be a label explaining what the flashes mean. On the furnace I had which had the LED mounted on the horizontal panel, there was a label attached near the LED which explained the codes. You might also look at the inside of the burner door for a code label.

I'm at work now, I'll try to remember to look at my York instruction manual when I get home later tonight.

Old 12-01-06, 01:51 PM
Wink

Id say call that tech you had what did he do ? Did he say anything about a new board for the furnace. you dont want the fan running all the time with no heat.

Old 12-01-06, 08:36 PM
Found the codes

The codes were not on the inside of the door. I did find them near the LED. Silver label, so unless you had your head in there with a flashlight, it was easy to miss (unit is installed in the attic, laying on it's side)

4 Flashing = Limit Open

I think the left side is flakey.. I had reset them both and it started to light. The furnace has been running now for a few hours.

Old 12-04-06, 10:09 AM
I'd agree with Ed, you should have your blower repaired correctly, not just jury-rigged to run all the time. I would have thought any competant tech would have ordered whatever parts were necessary and fixed it correctly. The fact that the limit switch opened up is also a concern. I'd recommend getting a York tech to check your furnace out.

Old 12-13-06, 09:06 AM
Similar problem...

I'm having a similar problem with my York 80. The igniter doesn't glow. I replaced the igniter but it still doesn't work. I can light it manually and it seems to work fine but that's becoming a pain (especially when it's 50 degrees in my house in the morning!).

I don't remember what the LED flashing sequence is, I'll check tonight.

Aaeros - what did you mean by "I think the left side is flake.. I had reset them both and it started to light."?? What did you reset and how did you do it?

Anyone else know something I can try?

I'm trying to avoid having to replace the control board, but if that's what I have to do does anyone know a good place to get one?

Thanks!!!!

Old 12-13-06, 09:38 AM
You need to replace the control board on your furnace.

Old 12-13-06, 10:24 AM
Hey cubswin1,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably just replace the control board. But, is there a way to make sure that's the problem before I drop $200? My ignitor seems to only have one purple wire going to it. Can I somehow test the circuit to see if power is running to it? I have a volt meter but not sure where to put the leads since there's only one wire going to the ignitor.

Thanks again!!
Bryan

Old 12-04-08, 05:38 PM
York Diamond 80 Furnace blowing cold air

I have a York gas furnace and the power went out today - now I'm only getting cold air blowing through the vents. This happened last year and I had to pay a furnace person to just "reset" it. Now that it's happened again, I can't find the button he used to reset the system! Does anyone know how this can be fixed without calling in an expensive furnace person?

Old 12-09-08, 01:45 PM
i need help with my york 80 furnace

Furnace-York 80-Diamond: Here is where i am at- furnace will not turn on. If i set the thermostat to Heat ON, the thermostat seems to be working properly only my furnace will not turn on. I had my gas company come out and check out my furnace in the attic...said my High Limit Switches were bad. I was receiving the 4 flashing light code for a faulty limit switch.

I checked all three high limit switches.... 1. probe switch was OK, 2. lower switch was OK, 3. upper switch was tripped.....i reset the switch and the error code went away.

I turned on the furnace manually with the test button on the unit and the unit fired up just fine. Except....after a min...the high limit switch (3) start to trip and turned the unit off. I check all switches by removing one at a time and bypassing it, to see if the others would still trip....they did.

So....Why are my high limit switches tripping? Is the blower or fan not working to distribute the heat? oh ya, there also seems to be no air circulation coming out of the vents when i was able to manually fire up the furnace. I would think it would be the blower but how to i check that...i don't know what it looks like to. when i turn on the unit (manually) i see a little fan turn on...i can't believe that is the blower for the entire house...its not much bigger than my fist. If anyone can help that would be great. Like many i have bee laid-off and am on a limited budget and can not afford to have someone come out and fix the unit, and....I'm freezing in my house.
Thank You,
Dave