Propane Heater, fan randomly not working.

Old 12-05-06, 05:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Propane Heater, fan randomly not working.

I have an all-in-one heater/ac mounted on the rooftop and the heater recently started acting up. What happens is the gas comes on, I can hear it running on the roof and I think I can hear it burning as well, but the fan never comes on to blow the air into the house.

If i turn the thermostat to FAN on the fan still will not come on.

If I turn on the AC the fan DOES come on. Odd?

If I turn the circuit breaker off and on a couple times sometimes it will come on but not always, and when it does at some point in the night it stops.

When the fan won't come on the gas keeps on going, it doesn't shut itself off. Should it?

Any ideas? I tried another thermostat and had the same problem. Is this an easy fix or should I call someone to look at it?

Old 12-05-06, 07:10 PM
The burners should shut off after awhile (High Limit), otherwise the heat exchanger will burn out.

Yeah, it's an odd problem. Not knowing how old the unit is, or if the unit is a single speed or multi speed blower.

You maybe should call someone in.

Old 12-05-06, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You say it runs ok on AC. Like jay said check the fan limit control for sure. This would be first . No blower and the furnace dont shut off. Next the fan relay. Then low speed on the motor . But you say it runs ok on AC so Im back to the fan limit

Old 12-05-06, 08:22 PM
J
well, the unit is less than a year old so Im assuming these things come with warranties? Its made by ruud. I'll probably call them and see what my options are.

Meanwhile its suppose to get down into the teens tonight so i better start scrounging blankets!!!!!!!! brrrr...

Old 12-05-06, 08:26 PM
Yes, if it's less than a year, then call for service.. Pretty much all new equipement has at least 1 year warranity.

Old 12-06-06, 02:45 AM
M
I have a similar problem.

I have a Trane XE80, 4 years old. We have an air cleaner on the furnace so run the fan continueously. Several times a night the fan will stop when the furnace is to come on. It will sit for from a minute to a couple of hours, then start up. When it is running the integrated control diagnostic indicator flashes correctly (slow = no heat: fast = heat). When the fan stops the light is off, which means check power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: