Wood Burning Stove Advice

Old 12-27-06, 10:37 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood Burning Stove Advice

Hello, I have a propane forced air furnace, with a Hot Blast 1300 Solid Fuel Wood Burning Stove also connected. I can either run the propane, or the wood stove, through the existing ductwork in my house. The wood burner has two fans on the back of the unit, which start up when the temp in the wood burner reaches the desired level to start heating.

I have a few questions about this...

1) should I also run the blower on my furnace in order to circulate the heat throughout my house (the wood burner heat runs directly into the furnace first) or should I keep the furnace fan off, and let the wood burner's blowers do the job. I have noticed that while not running the furnace fan (from the thermostat) and only running the wood burner's fan, the house heats up much quicker. When running the furnace fan also, the house heats up slower.

2) the wood buner is great (IE basically free heat) but the problem is that it heats up to about 77 degrees or more, which is a bit much. Are there any tricks to keeping the temp down a bit? Or is that the price you pay for free heat?

3) There is a small vent nob on the bottom door of the wood burner, which can be opened or shut to let air in. There is also a small damper knob on the main loading door to the wood burner. And, there is a regular damper on the exhaust (flue?) that lets the smoke out of the house to the chimny. Should I adjust any od these things to keep it bunring slower and longer? My basic issue is that I need to load the wood burner quite frequently in order to keep it going, but this heats the house up too quick.

4) Any maintenance suggestions for this wood burner? Aside from just emptying ashes, etc.

Thanks you very much

Old 12-27-06, 02:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Both the dampner and the vent can be adjusted to regulate the rate of burn. A slow fire gives better [lower] heat with less firewood but it also creates more cresote which means your chimney will need cleaning more often. I have a wood stove in my living rm and the attached chimney needs to be cleaned several times during the winter. My shop which is mostly uninsulated and heated with a lot of pine and scrap wood [and hot fire] barely needs cleaning once a year. The hotter fire helps to keep the chimney cleaner.

Old 12-27-06, 03:18 PM
1- Not knowing how old the furnace is. my parents old furnace has a fan limit, and if the area got warm. it turn on the main fan. When they put in the new furnace in, the ran the fan all times.. it helps keep the house temp balanced out, and no hot spots. Also, if the fan dont' run on the furnace the air flow may go backwards over the air filter and pushes the dust back into the air.

2-Wood heat really don't have much control over temp control. I'd run the fan as I said above.

3- Use the small knob to get the fire going once you get it going, use the one on the door to control the fire. I seen most of them has a spring inside the door that opens and closes the damper as needed. The flue damper, open when starting the fire, and when you open the door to check the fire or put in wood. Then close it to keep the fire under control.

4- You may have air filter on the underside of the unit that needs to be changed. Oil the motor if has oiling port. and make sure you have the chimeny cleaned twice a heating season.

Old 12-28-06, 12:06 PM
N
THanks

Thanks for the advice- that helps a lot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: