trane vs american standard

Old 12-27-06, 04:15 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trane vs american standard

i'm new to this. i have a 75 yr old house, solid brick, walls are plaster, i live in chicago suburbs. i'm looking to replace 28 year old furnace. looking at trane high efficiency unit, air cleaner, humidifier, a/c. i want to be environmentally friendly. what about american standard? i hear it is the same as trane but less expensive and that consumer reports lists them higher. also i got a quote from home depot, they use ars which is a servicemaster company, dumb thing to do?
thanks

Old 12-27-06, 04:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't go by consumer reports for furnace rating. Install is the most important things to make them last. Ask the dealer for refrance of past jobs and if they have pictures to show.

How long do you plan on living in your home?

Trane/American Standard are the same equipement, just a diffrent sticker stuck on front of the unit.

Make sure the dealer does a Manual-J (Load Calc) on the home to get the system sized for your home.

Windows and insulation been done recently?

ARS could be a good company. but it will vary from area to area. I had mine done by Home Depot a couple of years ago, and top notch job was done. I used to be in the field, and I never said word about my past, after the job was done, I told them that they done a good job.

Equipment I'd suggest.

-Two stage Variable speed furnace
-Two stage Honeywell/Trane T-stat (if wire is an issue due to not able to pull wire, then go with the Honeywell IAQ t-stat)
-Clean Effect/AccuClean air cleaner, if you don't have time to clean the unit, then go with Honeywell Media Air filter.
-14 or 15 SEERS A/C
-By-pass Humidifer

If you really want to save money in the long run, Look into heat pump with 80% back up heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: