Heater not turning off

Old 12-31-06, 01:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heater not turning off

Hello ... I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with this problem. The heater in my house does not turn off when I turn the thermostat off. I have to turn off the switch in the furnace to shut the heater off. I have replaced the thermostat but the problem still occurs. Thanks.

Old 12-31-06, 03:13 PM
S
Does the furnace come on after you turn the breaker back on with the thermastat turned off? If the furnace does come on with the thermostat turned off you probably have a short in your t-stat wire. You need to locate the short or replace the t-stat wire.

Old 01-01-07, 05:34 PM
C
Heater not turning off

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the furnace comes on with the thermostat off. Are the thermostat wires the wires (Red and White) running from the furnace to the thermostat? Do you mean a "short" between the Red and White wires? Thanks.

Originally Posted by sgthvac
Does the furnace come on after you turn the breaker back on with the thermastat turned off? If the furnace does come on with the thermostat turned off you probably have a short in your t-stat wire. You need to locate the short or replace the t-stat wire.

Last edited by cndt; 01-01-07 at 05:41 PM. Reason: add question
Old 01-01-07, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Heater stays on

Try disconnecting the thermostat wires at the heater. During the whole time the heater is running, is it actually producing heat or do the flames go out & just the fan stays on?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: