Humming from combustion blower

Old 01-02-07, 07:01 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humming from combustion blower

I have an arcoaire packaged unit. Gas heat/electric air- on the roof.

GPFM48K080E 80,000 btu.
Other numbers- icp 111000 8 JA Jakel 119 254-00 230V 60 hertz 1.2LRA

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1293/heatpa9.jpg

The red arrow shows where the noise is coming from.
I noticed recently that I didn't feel the air blowing out of the vents as soon as I used to ..after hearing the heat kick on.
It started humming loudly also. I live in Az so the heat doesn't kick on very often. Tonight it continued to hum and never started blowing air. I turned it off and then turned the Fan to "on" instead of "auto". The fan was blowing just fine.
We bought the house a year and a half a go and our paperwork says "furnish and install new 4 ton arco aire gas pack and T-stat $1630.00" in July of 2004.

Sometimes it will kick on and blow and other times I just turn it off because something is obviously wrong. Today I got on the roof to look and when the heat is initiated, the motor tries to turn but instead hums loudly. Occasionally it will kick on and everything fires up just fine...steady blue flame and everything.

The schematics on the door call it a combustion blower. However, I'm not finding much info under "combustion blower".
Is it called something else also? And the black cap comes off..but can I remove the 10 or so bolts around the fan and make sure nothing is preventing the fan from moving or that the fan blades aren't gummed up.

I'm thinking it's the bearings in the motor. But it's only 2.5 years old! Also it says "no oil needed permanently lubricated".

How much do you think a new motor will cost me? replacing it myself of course.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by desertdweller; 01-02-07 at 07:10 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-03-07, 05:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Warrany?

Not sure about their gas packs but warranty on furnaces, A/C, & heat pumps is normally 5 years on all parts.

Old 01-03-07, 06:15 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All parts? D'oh! We replaced it today. I just got home and the house is nice and toasty. 146.00 total because we didn't have to use a professional. Quiet, too!
Not absolutely sure why it was seizing but the replacement fixed the problem.

Old 01-04-07, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up Fixed

Glad you got it fixed. Not knowing the labor rates in your area, you could have just about broken even by purchasing the part & installing it yourself rather than getting the part for free but having to pay labor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: