Old Magic Chef Furnace Igniter Replacement

Old 01-08-07, 07:44 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Magic Chef Furnace Igniter Replacement

Help! Are old Magic Chef gas furnace igniters still available? Or "universal" replacement igniters?

Due to a mold issue around my furnace, I had a local HVAC company remove the Magic Chef gas furnace and AC coil in August. All the mold remediation & reconstruction is done, and the HVAC co finally reinstalled last friday after over a month of calls. But when the tested it, they said it's not working because the igniter is bad, and because Magic Chef is out of business, my ONLY option is to spend $2K on a new furnace. Yikes. I believe the furnace is original back to the 1983 construction of our townhome. I've owned it for 3 years and have never had the igniter changed, and the igniter always worked fine until they removed the furnace.

Our intention is to sell our place, so we didn't want to make an investment like that if not absolutely needed.

I don't have a model number yet - I'll check tonite. Would appreciate any advice or guidance. We have a baby and a toddler, and it's been a cold winter by Los Angeles standards.

Here's the spec's:
Magic Chef 55BTU forced air furnace for natural gas
Model# EG6A55DC42-1
probably from 1982
with "automatic spark ignition system" according to sticker
Johnson Controls G65BBG-1
White-Rodgers labeled box with two slide betw MAN and AUTO.

Thanks!

Last edited by J_Partini; 01-09-07 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Addl Info...
Old 01-09-07, 06:21 AM
Magic Chef name and ownership changed a few times since 1980s. Air Ease and Armstrong are newer names I think. It is owned by Lennox so exact parts may still be available. If not, surely a universal part will work. Especially for spark ignition. Don't bite on the obsolete part, buy a furnace line. Get a reputable company or research it and I'm sure you can get it repaired easily.

Ken

Old 01-10-07, 05:34 PM
J
Thanks for the reply. I emailed Armstrong Air to ask. They in turn asked for a model number (instead of "Magic who?"), so hopefully, i'll hear from them soon.

I called a big local supply store (Johnstone), and the person I spoke to said the only way they can tell if they have a replacement is for me to remove the ignitor and bring it in. Is there a way to tell whether the problem is the ignitor or if its the Johnson Controls unit? If it's just the ignitor, that'd be a lot easier to remove.

Thx

Old 01-10-07, 06:24 PM
There really isn't much to a spark ignitor. If there is about a 1/8" gap between it and the metal shroud over the pilot, it should spark. I think it is more likely a problem with the module but without being there to look and perform some basic voltage testing I am just guessing.

Ken

Old 01-16-07, 12:16 AM
J
Smile ATTENTION - simple fix saved $2K!!

MY FURNACE IS RUNNING NOW! Wow, central heat is amazing. Thought I'd share resolution in case it helps others with SPARK ("intermittant pilot" i think) ignition systems. First, I was told it'd be $2K for a new furnace. Then I found out that replacement parts are available after all. Johnson Controls makes a $100 replacement ignition control box for my old one. So today, I removed my spark ignitor and the control box and drove to my local Johnstone Supply (Long Beach, CA). But when the guy there looked at my ignitor, he tested it, and told me his guess is that my problem was corrosion on my ignitor. just needed steel wool to clean it up the spark rod (?) and the flame sensor. so i cleaned up the ignitor, put it all back, and it fired up just fine. Thanks to KFields here and the guys at Johnstone, LB. Now as for my HVAC company (I'm tempted to name them...), I'm sorely disappointed in them, trying to pitch me a $2K furnace when they claimed that no replacement parts were available, when about 5 cents of steel wool did the trick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: