Rheem Classic 90 Plus wont ignight about 30% of time

Old 01-10-07, 09:50 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rheem Classic 90 Plus wont ignight about 30% of time

It has been a mild winter. Have had no issues with this furnace in the 3 winter we have had this house. All of the sudden 2 days ago it is cold in the morning. T-stat is set at 6, room temp is 64. I go down and pull the bottom cover off the furnace (not the top yet where the burner, gas valve, etc is yet) and tape the switch. I cycle the amin power switch. After the board resets the combustion fan comes on. After about 45 sec. the igniter I hear activating but no flame and does not light. I also notice 1 solid green LED and the other flashing 2 times. I pull the top cover, cycle main power again, it lights. Think it is a fluke, put all back togather. This morning same deal, so I pull both covers, it lights again. As it is lit I put the top cover on (cover for burner, etc.) and it goes out. I notice the furnace wants to suck the cover on a but which I assume is a bit normal. So, it is running fine with top cover off today. Any ideas?

Old 01-11-07, 05:32 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your combustion air comes from the outside, via a pipe, check it for something clogging it. Would explain the flame going out and the top section being sucked on.

Old 01-11-07, 07:30 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That makes sense.. I will check it. It is 3 degrees out so I am not sure I want to go on the roof. Any harm running without the top cover for a few days?

Old 01-11-07, 10:26 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should be okay. Mine could run either way, but since the builder decided not to draw from the exterior, mine runs fine on the normal air infiltration into the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: