Trane XB80 (downflow unit): airflow adjustment?

Old 01-15-07, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Trane XB80 (downflow unit): airflow adjustment?

Hello,

I was trying to figure out how to adjust airflow on a Trane XB80 downflow unit installed vertically, model TDE060A936M2. I recently cleaned up air duct covers in the house and after that the overall airflow decreased a bit (as it became more balanced I guess)...
The XB80 Installer's Guide does not seem to provide much details on how to adjust the airflow, it only says "see the wiring diagram for information on changing the speed of the blower motor". But I could not find any clues on the diagram for how to adjust the motor speed... I guess there would be some plugs that perhaps need to be re-connected to diffrerent slots or something, but am afraid to experiment as I am renting the place and don't want to break anything. Any hints on the way to change blower motor speed would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-07, 02:05 PM
The blower speed info will be on the backside of the blower door.
Changing speed just of matter of changing wire color to HEAT on the board, and parking the unused wire.

You changed the air filter as well?

Old 01-15-07, 02:35 PM
Thanks a lot Jay!
There are 2 "parks" on the board as far as the wiring diagram goes: "Park B" and "Park C".. Does it matter where to park the unused wire?

Well I just vaccumed the air filter as well, I guess that somehow affected the airflow...

Thanks!

Old 01-15-07, 02:40 PM
No, it don't matter where you park it..

Old 01-16-07, 10:51 AM
Thanks Jay! Worked like charm!

Old 01-16-07, 02:02 PM
Glad to hear you got it working. What speed did you bump it up to?

Old 01-16-07, 05:58 PM
I ended up setting it to the highest speed after having tried the mid-high for a while (it was originally installed with mid-low)... Does not seem to make huge difference it seems a bit better this way as we currently have cold weather... If it gets warmer then I'll probably down it back...

Old 12-10-08, 04:35 PM
Trane XB80

I have a question on this, first of all excuse me since I'm a complete novice to this subject. I too have a trane Xb80 (2). 2 of my rooms upstairs are pretty cold. In my previous house there was a damper lever that I use to set for summer/winter. I don't see anything like that on this unit. I have read on this post about "parking" the wire at which I'm at a lost. Is this the same as using the damper switch ? If so what do I need to do ? Or at least point me in the right direction

Beer 4U2

Old 12-10-08, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your blower motor has multiple speeds, and your furnace has a control board inside, you should see where the blower fan wire spade connectors are hooked to the control board. If you have A/C, one blower motor wire will hook up to a spade on the board probably called COOL. And another blower wire will likely hook up to a spade called HEAT. And one or 2 other unused blower wires are put on the PARK spades. These spades are dead. They are just a place so you can "park" the wires at. The wires on HEAT, COOL and PARK spades are the various motor speed wires that allow the motor to turn at different rpms. The COOL wire should be your hi speed. The HEAT wire should be a lower speed.

To solve your problem, first be sure to see if any ducts have any manual damper controls on them. Often they are located just after the branch duct comes off the main trunk. But look anywhere along the exposed branch duct.

If that is not the issue, you may simply have to close down some downstairs registers to force more air to the upstairs registers. If that does not help, and an upstairs register has no improvement or feels like no air even comes out - recheck for damper controls again. And also be sure that register you check is indeed a heat register, and not a cold air return.