Heat Exchanger

Old 01-16-07, 02:27 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat Exchanger

Does having the laundry room being near the furnace affect the longevity of the heat exchanger(HE) in regards of chemicals such as bleach eating into the metal of the HE?

Old 01-16-07, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Id say no. But I do find that the dust and lint do get over and into the burners venturi Then screws them up as for the air to get into the burners.

Old 01-16-07, 04:23 PM
Yes, it will shorten the life of the heat exchanger.. Fumes from bleach, fabric softner and ect..

If you have a 90% that uses outside air, then you won't have any problem.

Old 01-16-07, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Laundry

The chemicals in detergents & fabric softeners as well as bleach can certainly be hard on heat exchangers. Outside combustion air is a major help but the best thing is to get that furnace away from the source of the chemicals.

Old 01-17-07, 03:39 AM
J
Smile

Thanks for the responses. I was just curious because I know of two people that had to replace their HE or the whole furnace because of CO levels that were too high. In both cases their heating systems were less than 15 years old and one was an outdoor heat pump. Possibly victims of contractor scams. A person that works at a furnace manufacturer had informed me about the chemical effects on the HE.

Old 01-17-07, 01:22 PM
N
chemicals from a laundry room will certainly reduce the life of a heat exchanger but as far as CO levels being too high thats more a poor combustion problem than anything else and should be checked out thoroughly since these problems can come about with the new furnace as well. Heat pumps dont have heatexchangers like that of a gas furnace and would not be affected other than a more often cleaning from lint/dust etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: