Gas furnace not keeping up, heat loss from crawl space?

Old 01-17-07, 07:33 AM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace not keeping up, heat loss from crawl space?

We lost power for 36 hours due to ice, and after getting it back, I noticed that the furnace was having a heck of a time trying to keep up. In fact, it's been running constantly.

Now, the temperature in the air going down the ductwork out of the furnace has a leak, and that air is very hot, definately in the acceptable range of temp rise on the furnace plaque, but the nearest register is significantly lower, probably half the original. Is this a normal amount of loss.

The only thing I can think is that for months we've been keeping the uninsulated crawl space warm by running the furnace, and now that it's had a day and a half to cool down to normal temps in the high teens, it's sucking all the air out of the ductwork. Unless there is something else to check on the furnace. The flames look good, I haven't pulled open the blower yet, though.

Old 01-17-07, 01:12 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have ductwork in the crawl it must be insulated or you will have a drastic temperature difference between the furnace plenum and a nearby register. i suggest checking the ductwork in the crawl to see if some of it has come loose and be sure its all insulated properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: