How Much Heating Oil SHOULD I Be Using?

Old 01-17-07, 02:27 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How Much Heating Oil SHOULD I Be Using?

Hello:

I moved to Maine about seven months ago. At the time of my move into my current apartment (the first floor of a three story house), I knew I would be using heating oil for heat, but didn't really think of it as a big deal.

Now that we are into mid-January, I am finding the cost of heating my apartment ridiculously high. Granted, its January in Maine, but it seems like I am going through heating oil much more quickly than I should (especially in light of the above average temps we've had for most of the winter).

I'm trying to determine if there is something wrong with the heating oil unit to cause it to go through more oil than it needs to, or if this is normal. Here is some basic information ---

My apartment consists of two bedrooms, 1 large kitchen, living room, dining room, bathroom. I do not know how large it is in terms of sq. ft. It is on the first floor of the house.

I run the heat at about 70 during the day and 60 degrees at night.

My heating oil unit holds 275 gallons. I had it filled last Wednesday (one week ago today) and already it is down to just above 3/4 tank. So basically, if temps stay the way they've been this past week, I'm looking at an empty tank in another three weeks from now, and a cost of $2.05 per gallon ($564) to fill it back up.

My landlord claims that the heating unit was inspected/cleaned in October of 2006. The tennants on the 2nd and 3rd floors have their own heating systems (electric heat) in place.

Based on this information, can anyone offer any advice/assistance?

Thanks.

Old 01-17-07, 02:46 PM
N
im guessing the tank is above ground so that you can read the sight glass? if not than i would bet the tank is corroded and leaking bad. If above ground: can you see any areas where oil could be leaking, valves, broken pipes etc. 60+ gallons fuel oil a week is insane, especially for an apartment. you need have the oil company out there to inspect the furnace and oil delivery cause something is seriously wrong there.

Old 01-17-07, 02:48 PM
S
The heating oil unit is in the basement. There is a gauge on the top of it that shows how much oil is in it.

Old 01-17-07, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Id say it might pay you to have a tech checkout the burner youself. Even if you are renting. As we dont know what the heat lost of the home is cant say how much you should burn

Old 01-17-07, 03:06 PM
P
I have a similar oil tank in my basement, gauge on top, no sight glass. It'a pretty inaccurate and it will stick in one position at times. If I have to know how much is in the tank I unscrew the gauge and stick a piece of clean tubing in the tank to find the oil level.
If you live on the bottom, you are probably helping heat those above you in the apartment building.

Old 01-17-07, 03:54 PM
S
From experience the tank when full will seem to go down faster at first, the top and the bottom is rounded. The middle section will go down slower.
I live in central Maine and have 1500 sq ft 1 story house. Oil furnace and oil hot water , separate units. Total 1.15 gal per hour and I go through about 600 gallons a year.
How well the house is insulated makes a big difference. Wait and see how long it takes to get to tank, you will then still have about 60 gallons left. I wait until it is down to 1/8 but I have 2 tanks, 275 and 330.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: