Stainless Chimney Liner DIY?

Old 01-19-07, 10:28 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless Chimney Liner DIY?

The furnace guy came today to check why smoke will sometimes come out of my oil-fired forced-air furnace.

$100 later he tells me that we have a couple of problems: 1) there is a draft coming down the chimney and it is what is causing the smoke to come out, and 2) there is a lot of condensation on the inside of our chimney which is leaking down.

Long story short, we are in need of a 5" stainless steel chimney liner. The price quoted to me is $600. The really bad part is that we've listed our house, and I'm not pleased with the idea of spending that kind of money on a house we're leaving as soon as we can.

Is it possible to do this myself? I've got quite a bit of DIY experience, plus my father-in-law is willing to give me a hand. He has a friend who does furnace work for a living, and this guy will advise us for free. We would install a liner and chimney cap. I understand that there are fire-code considerations, and obviously we would double check things to make sure they're done correctly.

Am I putting my family at risk considering this kind of thing? I'm trying to find out which option is the lesser of two evils (as I see it), as spending that kind of money without considering other options is really not a great way to take care of my family.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Especially by my 12 week old little girl!

Thanks!

Old 01-19-07, 11:34 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a job that is recommended to be done by pros. If you DIY, do your research and carefully select products you need to complete the job. Remember, DIY offers no warranty. If in doubt, hire a pro. Considering the value on your and your friends time and labor, $600 sounds like a good deal. Did you plan on insulating the liner?

Old 01-19-07, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Might check this out http://www.novaflex.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=117&idproduct=400

1) there is a draft coming down the chimney and it is what is causing the smoke to come out,

What do you have that would pull the draft back down the flue there??????

2) there is a lot of condensation on the inside of our chimney which is leaking down.
Have you looked at the cement cap on top of the chimney.
most of the time that is what lets the water into the chimney . Also check the flashing around the chimney

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: