oil tank 2 pipe system question

Old 01-19-07, 01:26 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil tank 2 pipe system question

I'm piping a two pipe system out of 3 275gal tanks that are out doors everything works fire but the return line seems to return fuel oil only to the center tank (the three tanks are side byside) to the point where it would overfill the tank if I didn't stop the burner pump.All lines have check valves so it's not a siphon problem, Should the return be piped only to 2 of the three tanks? Will this have any effect on the system operating properly? I've never had to pipe out of three tanks into the same unit so I'm a little weery hopefully one of you have.

Old 01-19-07, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

First why the two pipe set up???? Do you come off the bottom of the tanks for the outlet??? One filter with all the outlets tied to it????? or how

CODE
8.4 Fuel Return Piping.
A return line from a burner or pump to a supply tank shall have no valves or obstructions and shall enter the top of the same tank.

Old 01-19-07, 02:23 PM
P
2 pipe system

I have 3 275 gallon tanks piped out the top with 3/8" od return is 3 1/2" shorter no obstructions on the return. I converted from a one pipe out of the bottom of the tank on advise from my oil man. I was getting alot of freeze ups and parafin from the bottom of the tanks......The Return line on the new system is flare tee connected to the three tanks would that be considered an obstruction? Maybe?

Old 01-19-07, 02:54 PM
P

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
First why the two pipe set up???? Do you come off the bottom of the tanks for the outlet??? One filter with all the outlets tied to it????? or how

CODE
8.4 Fuel Return Piping.
A return line from a burner or pump to a supply tank shall have no valves or obstructions and shall enter the top of the same tank.
I had a one pipe set up off the bottom of the three tanks piped with the filter at the burner. I converted to 2 pipe out of the top of the 3 tanks tied together with flare tees with the one filter remaining in place but when returning it returns to the center tank. I Converted on advise by my oil man, I was getting alot of freeze ups and parafin from the bottom of the tank.

Old 01-19-07, 03:03 PM
Wink

No way would I take out of the top of a tank. If I can take off the bottom of the tank. We even pitch the tank just a little but to the outlet. This is so all the yuck, water or such will get out of the tank and into the filter. That will cost less than a new tank that rust out with all that junk left in it. If his oil is that bad Id get some one else for my oil company

Old 01-19-07, 03:21 PM
S
Donít know where you live, if you are getting cold weather gelling have the oil dealer add some #1 to keep it from gelling. I agree out the bottom is best all around.

Old 01-19-07, 03:48 PM
P
Smile

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
No way would I take out of the top of a tank. If I can take off the bottom of the tank. We even pitch the tank just a little but to the outlet. This is so all the yuck, water or such will get out of the tank and into the filter. That will cost less than a new tank that rust out with all that junk left in it. If his oil is that bad Id get some one else for my oil company
Interesting, So I should have left well enough alone. The tanks are outside of a horticulture Greenhouse and it gets pretty cold here this time of year if I pipe out the bottom (again) do you think heat tape and pipe insulation on the line is a good idea? Thanks I appreciate your input if you ever have a plant question let me know............My mistakes don't define me they cost me money!! Have a good Weekend

Old 01-19-07, 04:03 PM
Wink

Thanks I appreciate your input if you ever have a plant question let me know..

Hey we have a Garden & outdoors you can go there and help out .

ED

Old 01-19-07, 04:24 PM
M
If Poss. Keep Your Bottom Feed You Can. If You Need To Run A Return Line, Go Back Into The Top Of Your Tank With A Double Bush. & Plug One Of The Taps, You Should Need A Two Pipe If Your Burner Is Over 6' To 8' Above Your Tanks. In Pa. We Cut W/kero...mike

Old 01-19-07, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Plantboy

Insulation is a double edged sword. It can be your friend or foe. Here's a few tips which should help:
1. Drain fuel out of the bottom until it runs clean.

2. Get some good fuel treatment & treat all three tanks.

3. If at all possible, make sure the tanks & lines maintain a downward pitch toward the heaters. Tanks should slope 1/4" per foot of tank length toward the outlet. Avoid dips in the lines since water will trap there & freeze.

4. Use empty filter cans (no filter cartridge in them) outside at the tanks to act as sediment traps.

5. Put your actual filter(s) inside. Use one just inside the greenhouse & a second close to each heater.

Old 01-21-07, 06:56 AM
Your fuel dealer sounds like a dinosaur who has been sniffing too many diesel fumes. It is a shame that he sent you on a difficult unnecessary task. Leave the feed from the bottom of the tanks. Find a fuel dealer with a cold flow improver. Pour point depressant is the correct term and it can be added at the time of delivery. That way kerosene isn't needed. We add a pint to each tank at the time of delivery for all of out outdoor tanks and have not had a freeze up in over 18 years. It occasaionally gets to the below zero range and still no freeze ups. It costs about $3.00 per pint and you only need it from November to March. Possibly you can find it on your own and add it when they bring oil but in my opinion it is the fuel dealers responsibility if he wants to keep his customers with outdoor tanks.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: