Where'd all the oil go? Could there be a leak?

Old 01-19-07, 09:15 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where'd all the oil go? Could there be a leak?

My mother has an older furnace, and recently bought a brand new oil tank. Her house is approx. 2000 square feet.

In an average 12 month period, she pays $950 for oil.

However, in December, she had a new oil tank installed, and had it filled, at a cost of just over $1,000. (I believe it was around 1100 litres @ .869 per litre.)

Because she is on the automatic fill program, her tank was automatically topped up yesterday. She was shocked when she was left with a bill for $730. (Approx. 700 litres @ .989.)

We're at a loss to figure out what the problem could be. It's not possible that she burned $730 in six weeks, considering she only paid $950 for the previous full year.

She called the oil company and someone came out and checked the tank to make sure there was not a leak somewhere. Also, I should point out that the distance from the tank (which is outside) to the furnace is only a matter of feet.

The company said there was no leakage happening. They suggested the problem could be build-up (I'm assuming in the furnace itself). However, if the problem was 'buildup', wouldn't that be something that gradually had to happen? I mean........how can the usage jump such an incredible amount all of a sudden if the problem was a build-up? The only other suggestion they had was that perhaps she was keeping her house much warmer than in previous years. (Not so --- She's always kept the room temperature 69-70, plus she turns it down at night.)

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Marie

Old 01-20-07, 06:24 AM
S
You say it costs her $950 a year to heat, $1000 to fill the tank. That means you are using 1 tank per year.
You are using liters so you must be in Canada, this does not add up right. I wonder if the prices for oil has changed dramatically.

Old 01-20-07, 11:52 AM
M
Thanks for the reply.

Last year she was on the monthly payment plan and made ten payments of $125 each, and the company ended up sending her back $300 at the end of the twelve month period and decided that her payments needed to be lower.

Yes, I am in Canada, and the price per litre right now is $.989 per litre, which I believe is over $4.00 a gallon.

Old 01-20-07, 12:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Oil loss

I know it is not a pleasant thing to think about but with the price of oil so high, theft of oil has gone up.

Old 01-20-07, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Thats a lot of oil .Im with Grady here does she have her own wood dip stick to check the tank with. If out side Id sure start and see what I use in a day. Can she lock the fill cap?????

Old 01-20-07, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I agree that you can not compare oil consumption using dollar amounts.
Prices have gone up considerably in the last year.
If she does not have last years bill to compare prices the dealer should be able to help.
Also, there will be a certain amount of oil needed for the tank to bring the level up to the outlet.

Old 01-20-07, 02:13 PM
S
I figured your last gallon use to be 4.4 gallons per day, average in cold climate would be closer to 3.0 gallons per day, a bit on the high side. Are the walls well insulated, insulated windows, doors.
I find it best to keep track of gallon amount from year to year, price wise is too variable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: