Excessively Clicking Thermostat before start

Old 01-20-07, 09:03 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Excessively Clicking Thermostat before start

Hi,
I have an older New Yorker oil furnace with a newer Honeywell thermostat installed. I have only one thermostat in the hallway of the house which is away from the actual furnace.
Since we've purchased the home the "Click" that we hear to start the furnace has become more and more excessive before it actually starts. Sometimes as much as 15 or 17 times. It will shut of and immediatley start up again as well, kind of like it's not quite done heating up the house.
We've had it cleaned out, the filter replaced as well as the nozzle and it's only gotten worse. When it does click, the lights dim as well....it has yet to simply click on forever but I wouldn't be surprised.
Should I be concerned about the safety of the furnace, and my family? What in the world is the problem?

Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-07, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
If this click is happening at the thermostat then it likely is bad.
Either that or you have air blowing directly on it.
Most modern digital thermostats have a built in time delay to prevent this.
Next time you see this happen immediately raise the thermostat setting a couple of degrees to see if it changes anything.
The lights likely dim because of the starting of the oil pump.

You may have to replace the control.

Old 01-20-07, 11:36 AM
J
It happens at the stat and at the furnace

Gregh,
Thanks for responding. You can hear it at both the thermostat in the hall and in the furnace room where the piece of machinery that contains the nozzle is. Would that make any difference in your assesment?
I will try your advice as well though.

Thanks
Joe

Old 01-20-07, 11:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
Clicking

To determine if the problem is with the furnace or the thermostat, remove the stat & jump wires connected to terminals R & W. If the clicking at the furnace persists, there is a problem with the furnace. You say the furnace is a New Yorker. Is it hot water or warm air? Some thermostats are not compatable with certain configurations of hot water systems.

Old 01-20-07, 12:05 PM
Wink

When it does click, the lights dim as well....

Id check the burner motor for sure here.

Old 01-20-07, 12:15 PM
J
hot water

We have hot water baseboard heat.

Old 01-20-07, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
Hot water baseboard

Try the thermostat by-pass thing & post back with results.

Old 10-05-07, 06:38 PM
B
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post up my issue here. It sounds similar.

I have excessive clicking right now with my 5 month old climatouch thermostat as it tries to kick on the AC. The home's temp does seem to be maintained, but the clicking is getting worse.

I jumped the red wire to the AC and the unit was on outside (at least I saw the fan going), and jumped the red to the furnace and there was a ton of clicking downstairs and it sounded like it was flipping on and off, but we did feel some hot air. This was likely the first time it was fired up since winter, so some strange behavoir might be expected...not sure there.

The thermostat will have periods where it is fine but it seems as though the issue starts when the room temp finally comes down to the "cool" set point. In other words it will be okay as it cools from 75 to our set point of 72, but when it hits 72 it will just click like crazy.

Our AC and Furnace are old (1979) and likely need replaced, but we're saving up for spring. They were inspected recently. Our thermostat is a very nice newer touch screen unit and I'd be disappointed if it was the issue.

I have no idea

Old 10-06-07, 11:22 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
A new thread is never a bad idea.

Do you have the installation manual for your thermostat or can you find it on the web via a Google search? It is possible that you have the "differential" setting too close. This is the temperature difference between the "on" and "off" points from the user-selected set point.

Old 10-08-07, 11:49 AM
Clicking

You might want to check the box above the burner motor. There is a relay inside and something could have loosened up and is shorting it out underneath the relay. On my unit, the relay hardware loosened up and the nut was shorting it out. I caught it in time and repaired it before it burned something out.

You also might have some electrode issues where the burner is trying to start up but the electrodes are worn out and not properly cleaned or adjusted. That can make things click on and off trying to start up etc. The electric eye can see this and make things go crazy like you discribed.

Turn the emergency switch off and check out that box first. You can see the relay contacts or other issues just like I did.