Brand New Goodman Gas Furnace will not Work

Old 01-20-07, 11:00 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brand New Goodman Gas Furnace will not Work

Hello all,

I just purchased a Goodman GMH951155DXA Dual Stage Gas Furnace. I installated the furnace last week and completed it when the tech from the gas company came to do his work. (He installed a 200 gal LP tank and ran all necessary lines and a distribution box....checked for leaks and terminated all ends) At that time I converted the furnace over to LP from Natural. This required changing the gas orifices and the springs. We fired the furnace up and she worked like a charm. Had had her on for 15 minutes or so. Turned it off - hooked up the Termostat and no luck. Removed the termostat and closed the circuit to call for heat and no go. I had assummed that the LP tank may have emptied since it was just dropped in place. Over the next week a 200 gal delivery was made....still no luck...the furnace will not fire. It makes three attempts; but no ignition. The Diag. LED blinks constantly and slow after the failed attempts. The manual states it could be a polarity issue or ground. It is not as I have checked and rechecked. Power is good, ground is good, gas is making it to furnace, (gas pressure - not sure...did not have a manometer)
Any ideas of what the issue could be?

Old 01-20-07, 05:25 PM
How do you have the t-stat wired to it? Single or two stage?

Old 01-20-07, 07:20 PM
It doesn't sound like the tstat if the furnace tries but fails on ignition. Is the igniter glowing on the ignition attempt. If it is, can you hear gas hiss out of the orifices when the gas valve energizes?

I have had many LP gas light off problems. LP just doesn't burn the same as NG. How did you adjust the gas pressure after conversion? Did you use a manometer or just the 11 turns with a screwdriver thing?

Also sometimes I have to reposition the igniter into the burner path a little bit better, but be careful, it's fragile.

Old 01-21-07, 05:49 PM
K
Absolutley no gas coming out of any of the orafices.

No manometer as stated in my original post. Yes - 8 turns and 12 turns respectivily for the high and low...thats it.

Pressure is definitely on my list of suspects as it has not been verified to be between 11 - 13 W.C.

My main suspect is the auxiliary limit switch that has a manual reset. I just learned of this after I left the site. I will be able to check tomorrow and will repost at that time.

Thanks...

Old 01-22-07, 03:30 PM
J
The red light blinking gives a code. I think (but am not sure) you alluded to its meaning. If not, the manual deciphers the code to tell you what's wrong. I recently installed a Goodman 2-stage. If you accidentally cross/touch thermostat wires when installing the thermostat, you will blow a fuse on the circuit board. That's what happened to me. No big deal. The fuse was cheap.

Post what the manual says verbatim.

Old 01-22-07, 09:40 PM
K
Problem Solved.......

Well...after checking every manual reset possible the furnace still did not fire. I decided to look at the pressure switch. I followed the Square tubing running from the pressure switch down to the lower heat exchanger. I pulled the tube from the nipple and a "shot glass" of water came out! I though this was very strange as the drain tube, which sits LOWER than this nipple, had no water coming out of it. I decided to pull off the drain tube and poke at the drain spout it was attached to coming from the lower heat exchanger. My small screwdriver immediately hit resistance!! I poked until it freed up. Whatever was in there "Probably Ice" was pushed back and the dam broke!! WOW - a "cup" of water plus came out!!! Once it drained into the pump the furnace fired!

Thanks you all for your help...it is truly appreciated getting assistance from others who just want to help... Thanks again.

Old 01-23-07, 08:02 AM
J
That's funny. The same thing happened to me. They should make those hoses different sizes to avoid crossing them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: