Forced Hot Air

Old 01-22-07, 09:03 AM
Forced Hot Air

Why does it seem that the air coming out of my vents to heat my house seem to just dissipate? Is that how forced hot air works? I know everyone will start questioning about my insulation situation, but let's say I have proper insulation everywhere is that something I have to live with with forced hot air?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-07, 09:38 AM
Wink

You keep comeing back here and ask why your home dont heat. You have been given many many things to check or do. So far you havent tried any one of them.
Why does it seem that the air coming out of my vents to heat my house seem to just dissipate? Yes if the furnace is not the right size and the home need insulation. You need the insulation and good windows so it does keep the warm air in the home.

Old 01-22-07, 09:42 AM
The better your home is insulated the longer the heat will stay in.

Hot goes to cold so if your furnace is properly sized and it's not keeping your home warm then the warm air is escaping to the cold outdoors.

Old 01-22-07, 11:27 AM
Insulate walls, under floor, ceiling, insulated doors and windows and the heat will not dissipate as fast. It worked for me.

Old 01-22-07, 05:45 PM
What kind of heat are you used to?

I am used to big cast iron radiators, and hate forced hot air/AC systems. Radiators seem to heat more evenly; they absorb the heat, and then release it evenly into the room.

When I was very young, we had floor vent forced hot air, and my mother always kept the shutters at an angle, so the heat would go into the room and not straight up to the ceiling.

Old 01-22-07, 07:35 PM
I'm been used to baseboard heating when I was growing up. I'm in a situation where I cannot change what I have. All I can do is try to correct what I have.

I've read that duct boosters dont help. I examined my registers and they are all coming out of 12" vents except for two. Those two are only 4" and are each in a bedroom 12' x 10'. I dont think 4" is enough to heat these rooms. These rooms are in the second floor where all the piping is in the walls. Any suggestions for improvement?

Also, all my flexible ducts in my basement are 8" but then lead to 4"-6" pipes in the walls and then exits out of 12" vents in the rooms. Is that normal or just poor piping?

Old 01-23-07, 02:18 PM
Upvotes Received: 1
Originally Posted by MikeyBoy View Post
Also, all my flexible ducts in my basement are 8" but then lead to 4"-6" pipes in the walls and then exits out of 12" vents in the rooms. Is that normal or just poor piping?
It doesn't sound like the most ideal ducting situation. I don't like to see ANY flex duct used in a basement installation. The 4" ducts are definitely undersized. Years ago (early 1950's), some furnace manufacturers used a "high velocity" blower system with small 4" distribution ducts. I grew up in a house with that type of system. But with modern HVAC systems, such small ducts will not work properly. I'm guessing you might be looking at a complete ductwork replacement, without or without furnace replacement. Is there a large rectangular duct that takes off from the top of the furnace and runs the length of the basement, and the smaller ducts branch off from the trunk duct? I'm going to be curious what your estimators come up with.

Old 01-25-07, 05:37 AM
Question forced air heating fan problems

Hi, Please help,

we have just moved into our new house and unable to get our forced air heating system to work. The problem we have is, I started the gas in the garage and lit the pilot lite that sends flame into the hot air pump. I have also set the thermostat in the living room to MAX value. I can see the flame getting burnt in the pump, but for some reason the hot air fan doesnt seem to be starting and when I put my hand near the vents, I cant feel the hot air getting blown out. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. If any of you have any ideas please help. Thanks.

Satish

Old 01-25-07, 07:04 AM
Upvotes Received: 1
SATISH, your blower is not coming on for some reason. It could be a bad blower control, bad relay, or bad motor. From your terminology about furnaces, I can tell you are pretty unfamiliar with forced air furnaces. Therefore, I would highly recommend you hire a professional technican to check out your furnace. Even if your furnace was working properly, I would still recommend a technician check it out, especially since you have no way of knowing if or when it has ever been serviced. An improperly operating furnace can burn your house down or kill your family with CO.

Old 01-25-07, 07:40 AM
Arrow forced air heating fan problems

Hi Beachboy, Thank you very much for the clear response. Like you said I am guessing the fan is not working for some reason. But the old owner from whom we bought the house told me that just about a fortnight ago they had their whole hot air heating system serviced and it should be fine for the next 1 year or so. Even then it may be possible that the fan is not working after the service is done. Anyway in our house she has left the details of the technicians who serviced it, I shall give them as call in the evening as soon as reach home and get them to check this for me. Thanks a lot again.

Regards,

Satish

Old 01-25-07, 05:07 PM
Wink

satish_141 For sure call the service guy to look at the furnace as soon as you can. Try and be there when he comes so you can go over the furnace and how it works with him. It also helps us to help you .If you make your own post here .

Old 01-26-07, 02:58 AM
Lightbulb forced air heating problems

Hi Ed Imeduc, as suggsted I called a technician and he said that the problem was not with the blower or furnace as such, but because there were two pilot lites out which we only lit one thats for water and the one for heating wastn't lit at all and this was purely because of the fact that we didnt use it before. He said that the furnace is fine. The heating is all working fine now, but one thing that still concerns me is as it is cold out here in UK, we are leavig the hot air heating as a medimum tem setting all day even while me and my wife are work, but the flame in the pilot keeps on going on ? isnt it dangerous to have a fire lit in the home all though the day and night ? is it safe? please explain ? thanks...

Satish

Old 01-26-07, 06:15 AM
That's apparently an older furnace with a standing pilot. It's perfectly normal for it to stay lit and unless it's coming out of the heat exchanger it's safe.

Old 01-29-07, 07:07 PM
Hot Air Heat

MikeyBoy, Im in the same boat as you. I grew up with baseboard hot water heat. My house has forced warm air heat. To be blunt, it sucks. Its always cold regardless of what the T-stat says. My house has 10 times the insulation that my parents house had and its just always cold. Ive tried humidifiers and the like, its just not the same. It may be 70 but its a cold 70. There are things you can do to help it a bit but I just dont think that warm air will feel the same as hot water baseboard heat. Im sure that there are nice new wiz bang systems that work great but most older warm air systems just dont work that well (imo). Its the same thing at my job, forced warm air and it always seems cold. Good luck and if you find something that works, post it here for all to see.

Old 01-29-07, 09:11 PM
Wink

Carbuff Do you have a good humidifier there on your furnace??That helps a lot with the right R/H in the home to make you feel warmer.

Old 01-30-07, 12:11 AM
I dont have one at the moment. I had one that sprayed a mist in the hot air side when the fan went on. I got rid of it when my furnace was changed due to a bad heat exchanger. I never really noticed a difference with or without it. Im adding a 3rd return in one of the colder sections of the house to see if that makes a difference. Ive also been checking out the humidifier section of the forum and it looks like some good suggestions there.