Furance goes out - warning light

Old 01-22-07, 08:22 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Furance goes out - warning light

I have a friend who is away for sometimes weeks at a time - she has been having problems with her furance going out - she has called a heating contractor, but he is unable to find the exact problem. He advised her to have a light in the window that is sensitive to low temps. that could warn her neighbors that she has a furnance problem. Is their such a thing, and where could she locate one???

Without hardwiring the furnance what can be done?

Thank you

Old 01-23-07, 04:23 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the neighbors are within a hundred feet or so, she could get a wireless thermometer. leave the remote in her house and give the neighbors the receiver. Relatively inexpensive and no wiring.

Old 01-23-07, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Warning Light

The device he is refering to is made by Honeywell & is called a "Winter Watchman". It looks like a rectangular thermostat which plugs into a wall recepticle & a light is plugged into the Watchman. The light is placed in front of a window with preferably a bulb other than white. Some people put those flasher discs under the light bulb. Set the watchman 5-10 below the temperature at which the room thermostat is set.
http://customer.honeywell.com/honeywell/ProductInfo.aspx/S483B1002

Old 01-23-07, 07:26 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty neat little device. Thanks Grady for expanding my knowledge.
I guess the best solution would be to try another heating contractor and get the basic problem resolved.

Old 01-23-07, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Winter Watchman

Getting the existing problem fixed would be best. I am a firm believer in the Winter Watchman anytime folks are going away for more than a few hours if there is any possibility of a freeze up. Heaters are electrical/mechanical devices & being so, they will break. It is just a matter of when. The Winter Watchman & good neighbors are cheap insurance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: