help please maybe?(Bad circulator pump?)

Old 01-24-07, 09:25 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help please maybe?(Bad circulator pump?)

Ok here goes, recently my aquastat valve would start clicking while turning on sometimes shutting off before required (only on my upstairs heat zone 1), but at the same time my basement is on a 2nd zone and is fine, along with my hot water, my thermostat is new upstairs (and i even just jumped the two wires together).
So poking around tonite (its gonna get cold) i discovered the following maybe someone can shed some light on what my problem is.

My pressure to my baseboard heaters comes out of the top of my boiler to my expansion tank,and then goes to a tee where one of the branches goes to a flo-check valve then off to my right side (Upstairs) of house baseboard,the other end of the tee continues on and then come to another tee where it travels straight through to another flo-chek valve and off to heat the base board on the left side (upstairs) of the house,the other branch in this tee goes to a another flo-check valve and off to my baseboard heat in the basement which works fine.these pipes are all hot up to the the flo-checks then on the upstairs line they are cool. I have two circulating pumps 1 for upstairs and one for downstairs could i have a bad circulator pump or maybe something else you could suggest? I have checked and rechecked all the wirng.

thanks for any advise sorry so long winded.

Old 01-25-07, 04:28 AM
Lightbulb

My guess is a bad circ pump in that zone. If you know how, check for voltage at the C1 & C2 terminals on the aquastat. CAREFUL, IT'S ELECTRIC & IT BITES. If you have voltage, is the Circ pump hot (hotter that the water in the pipe) also put your ear to the handle of a screwdriver and touch the tip to the body of the circulator pump. Can you hear it running?
(this assumes a TACO or similar enclosed pump. If it's a B&G look to see if the shaft it the bearing housing is spinning.

Old 01-31-07, 08:16 PM
M
I agree it does sound like you have a bad pump to the upstairs zone and you are just getting a gravity feed on that zone, thus the hot pipe to that flo-valve. However, if you were able to determine that your pump was indeed working you may want to Bleed that zone ... you may have an air pocket that is holding back the circulation.

Old 02-02-07, 02:57 PM
F
Originally Posted by Montana104 View Post
I agree it does sound like you have a bad pump to the upstairs zone and you are just getting a gravity feed on that zone, thus the hot pipe to that flo-valve. However, if you were able to determine that your pump was indeed working you may want to Bleed that zone ... you may have an air pocket that is holding back the circulation.
Can you give instructions on how to bleed the pump? I've read eight or nine threads already regarding the subject, but no one gives instructions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: