excessive oil usage

Old 01-27-07, 08:45 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down excessive oil usage

I own a house heated by forced air oil heat. My problem is that last month (10 degreee above average) i used 187 gallons to heat my home. my home is very old and needs new insulation, windows, and a new heater which I plan on getting in the summer. My issue is that now that the cold is here, I cant afford to pay 500 dollars a month to heat my small home. Is there any thing that could be wrong? We had it serviced about 8 months ago and were told it needed to be replaced in the near future. btw, when it first fires up rooms closest to the furnace have a pungent oil smell. It smells like exhaust from a disel powered bus. Is it possible that the gun is spraying to much oil, thus wasting it and producing the smell? If not are there anyother reassons this could be happining? Thanks.

Old 01-28-07, 12:08 AM
N
there seems to be something wrong, i would call an oil service company out asap to look at it. the oil/diesel bus smell is most likely a draft/overfire problem and could promote a serious health hazard if not taken care of.

Old 01-28-07, 01:40 PM
S
draft?

The draft problem seems most likely to me. If it was overfiring, wouldnt it go off on high limit? Its weird because the thermostat is usually satisfied before the fan comes on to circulate heated air. Another reasson I think it may be the draft is because sometimes if the house is quiet you can hear the oil ignite about 2 seconds after the gun turns on. right now no one is living in the house and the heat is kept at 64, another reasson im puzzeled about the usgae. Therefore is it still a good idea for me to call a service company asap? No one will be living there untill may when heating season will be over and I will be replaceing the furnace. The only reasson i know it is doing these things is because it was doing them while I was living there but a familly member has became sick so it will not be occupied for some time as we are living somewhere else. What types of health effects would be expected? Thanks, Slowman

Last edited by slowman; 01-28-07 at 01:40 PM. Reason: mistakes
Old 01-28-07, 05:16 PM
C
I don't know too much about oil heat, but if no one is living there why not turn it down to 50 or 55 ( that is if it safe to operate, It sounds like theres a problem), or maybe use electric space heaters or a kerosene heater to keep the house above freezing. If you are going with a propane furnace next time around you could always get the tank setup and ready to go now and use a ventless heater in the meantime. Where I live the local co-op will come out and install the tank for free if you fill it with them exclusively, and thier prices are the same as everyone else in town. Why spend money on a furnace if its going to be replaced next year and no one is living in the house right now.
Good Luck!

Old 01-28-07, 05:31 PM
Exclamation Ready to die?

Dude,
Your furnace may be over fireing which gives a higher fuel bill.
But the fact that you smell the oil means that the heat exchanger is probable cracked. Change it out. Don't take chances.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: