Carrier Code 34 .. Pilot not lighting

Old 01-28-07, 09:57 AM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Carrier Code 34 .. Pilot not lighting

I'm getting a code 34 on my gas furnace . I cleaned the flame sensor but then realized it cant detect the flame if there isn't one.. So my next guess is the igniter yet I have no idea what it looks like or where it is. Will it look like a igniter on a BBQ (White ceramic). Where would it be located? Its a carrier 58STA90.

Please help it's going to drop to 15 degrees tonight

Old 01-28-07, 01:52 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check on the inside of the furnace door. Should be a sticker telling you what a code 34 means.
If the flame senor is on the right side of the burners, look for the ignitor on the left side of the row of burner tubes. Should be just barely in the path of the flame - if you had a flame.

Old 01-28-07, 02:18 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Ok, I got as far as taking out the hot surface igniter. My question now is after the blower comes on and the gas valve opens the igniter should be glowing at this point right? It dosnt glow at all. I attached a picture of the igniter in hopes that you or someone else could tell me if it looks burnt out.Also where is a good place to buy these parts with fast shipping .. Temps are supposed to drop pretty low the next few days.

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/8740/igniteriz3.jpg

Old 01-28-07, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's an ignition prove failure. If the unit is lighting the control is not seeing it.

Old 01-28-07, 10:35 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, it should be glowing. From the picture, it looks like there may be a crack in the second section ( counting left to right as 1-2-3-4 ). If you have a volt meter, set it for 120 volts AC and hook it to the connector going to the HSI. Start the furnace, The vent blower should run for 10-20 seconds, then you should see a voltage appear on the meter. If you get the voltage, the HSI is definitely shot. I had one last 10 years, the replacement lasted a month. The one in there now has been going for 3 months.

Old 01-28-07, 10:36 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that ignitors shot, you can see the crack on the left side(white discoloring). you need to replace it. wont cost too much, about 30 bucks or so. you can get it at a nearby hvac wholesaler. the way your furnace works is the draft motor will come on first, then once the psi switch hooked to it closes the ignitor will glow, then after a set time the gas will come on. if no ignition the gas will shut down giving you the 34 code for no flame sensed.

Old 01-29-07, 09:04 AM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much guys .. after a night of living by the fireplace im off to hunt one of these things down..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: