No cold air return

Old 02-02-07, 12:41 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No cold air return

Hello-I'm no HVAC expert, but I don't think this is proper: I just bought a ranch on a slab with a low attic. A 600 sq/ft addition was put on 20 or so years ago that has a master bedroom and a great room. The addition has it's own heating/cooling, separate from the rest of the house. The furnace in the addition is a 5 yr old Rheem, forced hot air located in a small closet on an outside wall.

There is no cold air return ductwork installed on this furnace. The top half(blower and filter) is just left wide open. There is a 4" diameter hole in the exterior wall that lets in fresh air from the outside in the closet. This may work fine, but I'm trying to make this house as energy efficient as possible and the front door of this closet is louvered. So basically cold air is constantly pouring into my house.

What option do I have for installing a proper cold air return? The other furnace on the other side of the house has 2(1 in the main hall and 1 in the kitchen). Do I also need 2 for this furnace? That means one would be in the master bedroom. I'm concerned about the noise. Can I just run ductwork up into the attic and draw in fresh air from up there? This would seem to defeat the purpose of a return system and would logically seem to positively pressurize the house.

What are my options?

I'm fairly handy. Is this a DIY project?

How much would it cost to have a HVAC do it(ball park)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Old 02-02-07, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this furnace a 90% using two runs of PVC? or 80% using single metal pipe to rood???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: