Help - we're cold.....

Old 02-06-07, 07:15 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - we're cold.....

I have a gas hot water baseboard system. THe temperature of house won't get above 64 ( and is dropping lower) no matter what thermostat is set on.

Plumber has been back 3 times and tells me that the house is poorly insulated so the temp won't get higher.

I've had the house 4 years and this never happend before even in colder weather. I would think if it was insulation problem the furnace would run constantly. It doesn't it runs for a while and then seems to randomly come back on..

Help we're cold!

Old 02-06-07, 05:06 PM
What type of home you have?

Your boiler temp and pressure?

What type of radiaitor do you have? Cast Iron ones or baseboard?

Old 02-06-07, 05:18 PM
K
Help - we're cold

60 - 100 yr wood frame home 4 rooms and a bath. Gas furnace baseboards on most exterior walls - 2 plumbers have checked temp & pressure - say furnace/thermostat okay - still insist house needs insulation. Okay - but.... its a double block (seperate heating systems. The North wall has another living unit on other side of wall) Added a first floor bath, so South wall (1st floor) has an electrically heated room & R-19 walls outside it. Kitchen west wall was insulated when new cabinets installed. Attic has at least R-30. Replacement windows & newer doors - no drafts.

For those who are counting this leaves one outside kitchen wall, 2 outside living room walls (one has stairwell leading to heated basement area and a wall beween 2nd floor stairway and living room) 2 bedrooms w/ 2 - 3 outside walls

AND the biggest question- why after 4 years won't the furnace warm the house? I know its freezing out now, but I also think its been this cold within the last 4 yrs.

Old 02-07-07, 02:47 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Help us to help you, Kathie.

Do you have baseboard convectors (they look like electric baseboard heaters) or do you have old-fashioned cast iron radiators?

How many levels (floors, stories) is there from where the boile is to where the highest heater is located?

What temperature and pressure is the boiler running at?

Hve you tried to "bleed" air from the heaters?

Is the circulator pump runniing? Is the boiler itself running, maybe intermittantly?

Old 02-07-07, 06:55 AM
K
Help - we're cold

Help us to help you, Kathie.

Do you have baseboard convectors (they look like electric baseboard heaters) or do you have old-fashioned cast iron radiators?

Baseboard (not the big radiators)

How many levels (floors, stories) is there from where the boile is to where the highest heater is located?

2 story house with basement (furnace is in basement) 4 rooms largest 15 X 15
(5th room -Bath has electric heat)

What temperature and pressure is the boiler running at?

Plumber turned water up to 190 (was 180) Both plumbers said it was at proper pressure, but I don't know what it was.

Hve you tried to "bleed" air from the heaters?

I was assured ther was no air in the lines

Is the circulator pump runniing? Is the boiler itself running, maybe intermittantly?

Pump/boiler run appropriately Turn thermostat up it comes on gets to temp then shuts off, circulates & when water temp falls it runs again. - turn it
down it goes off.

I know its been colder here & the house has been warmer - I really can't figure this one out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: