help, new to oil

Old 02-07-07, 08:54 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help, new to oil

hi, i just moved into my new home last week, and just noticed last night, a thumping noise from the furnace. it is a miller oil furnace. i checked it out this morning, and it's definitely the burner. the whole unit kicks while it is burning, and the flame kinda flickers. coming from an old steam-heated place, i have no idea if this is normal, or not. also, i shut everything down, and pressed the reset button, which seemed to work for a few seconds. now i smell gas. is it just from me pressing the reset? i didn't smell anything before. anyway, any information would be really great. i'm not even sure if i should worry or not. thanks, mike

Old 02-07-07, 10:18 AM
B
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like the nozzle needs to be cleaned or replaced. I'd buy a couple new ones, I don't think they cost too much.

This in a mobile home?

When it's making that noise you'll probably notice a good amount of smoke coming out the chimney from poor combustion.

Old 02-07-07, 07:36 PM
R
yeah it was a mobile before they combined it with another, and put it on a basement. i didn't take notice of any smoke, though i didn't really look too hard. where can i get a nozzle, and is there any difference, or can i just grab anything. oh and the gas smell is gone, now that i'm home from work. so no worries there. thanks

Old 02-08-07, 11:23 PM
B
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
No, there are many different nozzles and you need the right one to fit your furnace.

Seeing you haven't done this before I'd call the oil company that delivers your oil, most have repair service, and have them come and check it out.

From what you've mentioned I'd say 9 out of 10 times it is a dirty nozzle, but it could be something else. If it is the nozzle they can pull the gun, install a new nozzle and be gone in 20 minutes. Watch what they are doing so you can fix it yourself the next time, it's not difficult.

I would do this sooner rather than later, eventually it won't fire at all (probably 3 AM on a weekend) then you'll be freezing.

Baldwin

Old 02-08-07, 11:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

If it is the nozzle they can pull the gun, install a new nozzle and be gone in 20 minutes. Watch what they are doing so you can fix it yourself the next time, it's not difficult.

Boy wish My guys could service a oil burner that fast.

Yes just to start you need a new nozzle. Make sure its the same size and angle as the old one .If it is the right nozzle.
Then is the oil filter new . Is the pump Psi good and the electrode assembly clean and reset. The blower blades ok clean ,draft over the fire ok whats the stack temp. Barometic damper set right.
Call the oil company and get them to service it

You did put in a new air filter in right away????

Old 02-09-07, 07:37 AM
As other said, get a GOOD oil tech out there, and have them go over everything with a fine teeth comb. Also a good tech should do the draft/smoke/temp test as well. Don't let them "eyeball" the flame!

oil should be serviced every year, and filter changed in the fuel line as well.

Old 02-09-07, 08:02 PM
Lightbulb

Just a pointer. Pick up a Delavan .579 MH nozzle. This is my favorite nozzle for the Miller furnace. It was specifically designed for mobile home furnaces. Also only burn Kero in your furnace, as the small nozzle size makes it a nozzle clogging headache with #2 oil.

Old 02-09-07, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Kero

I agree. I suggest kero to all my mobile home customers. The extra cost of the kero will pay for itself in reduced maintenance. I disagree however with the nozzle selection. Use the nozzle the manufacturer specifies. If you post a model number of the furnace, I can probably tell you the correct nozzle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: