Cursing the Cold-Problems with the R7148B

Old 02-08-07, 06:48 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cursing the Cold-Problems with the R7148B

I'm having serious problems with my oil heater. Yesterday night it stopped working all together. My system is only ~3-4 years old. I have not had it serviced during that time.

I take off the front panel and find the led on the R7148B indicating a lock out state. I try holding down the button several times (for 30 seconds) and it always returns to the lock out state. I do not hear anything else operating, no oil pump, no blower, nothing. My neighbor who used to do HVAC came over and checked out my valve, and flue and did not find a problem, but he has been out of the industry for a while and was not familiar with the R7148. I had my oil refilled only a month ago.

Before it died, I did notice it behaving a little abnormally a few days before. It sounded like it started and stopped and started and stopped several times before finally staying on. Also my filter was somewhat dirty but is completely clean now.

Reading the Beckett web page, I try jumping the T to T. I checked the connections and they seemed good. I could not find the red limit switch going into my R7184B. I used a multi meter to confirm I have 120V AC power to the black bundle and the white bundle. I did not see any voltage going from the burner motor to the L2 bundle.

I did notice one thing that appeared unusual. The orange black connection has a third (possibly red limit?) connection to it.

The furnace operated normally for the last 3 years, so I'm puzzled why it stopped working now.

Any help would be appreciated.

For pictures of the wiring and my R7148B go to:

http://www.kryp.to/~jeff/Tulip/P1010165.JPG
http://www.kryp.to/~jeff/Tulip/P1010166.JPG

Old 02-08-07, 08:26 PM
J
Ok, my HVAC neighbor couldn't sleep cause my problem was bothering him. We basically hooked 120AC to each component (valve, pump, igniter) and tested them all out, and they all appeared to work. We even went so far as to try to simulate the actions of the ignition system and got some sparks and brief ignitions (ie the rest of the system appears to work correctly)

So far it looks like the R7184 unit is somehow keeping us from moving foward, my thoughts is it got into some permanent lock out state earlier due to my dirty air filter and won't reset without a programmer, but this is purely speculation.

So next step is to try to replace that unit, does anybody know the closest place in North Jersey that I can purchase one? (zip 07828)

Old 02-08-07, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
R7184

To reset, press & hold the red button for about 45 seconds or until the green light blinks. Depending on which series the control is, the light might blink once or twice. It will only be a second or two between blinks if it is to blink more than once. BTW, reset instructions are usually on the underside of the control.

Old 02-08-07, 09:33 PM
J
Grady thanks for your reply, but I've already done that. The first couple times the light blinked confirming it acknowledged it. But now it doesn't even blink after holding it down for a while, but it does stop blinking meaning it realized I am holding down the button.

Old 02-09-07, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
7184b

When they say 45 seconds, they mean AT LEAST 45 seconds. It seems like an eternity while holding the button. Time it with your watch. I may work, maybe not but it's worth a try.
One more thing, all 7184 primarys have a delay built in before they will power up. After resetting & jumpering T-T, it takes 10-15 seconds for the circuitry to engage.

Last edited by Grady; 02-09-07 at 05:10 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-09-07, 05:54 PM
J
Talking

Alright guys, I replaced my oil filter, cad cell (probably didn't need to do this one), nozzle and R7184B unit. And now my furnace works

The new R7814 says 45 seconds, the old one didn't. The new one does look different although it is also a B unit. It cost me $114 in the end ($90 which was the R7184B unit), still cheaper than a call to a service tech.

I learned a lot about furnaces, now I'll avoid the problems next year.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by jhaluska; 02-09-07 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
Old 02-09-07, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cad Cell

I'm sure you are tired of messing with this thing but if you don't mind & as an educational experience for all concerned, put the old cad cell on the new control. I just have a hunch the cad cell may have been the problem all along.

Old 02-09-07, 06:12 PM
J
Smile

Grady I had that hunch also. We tried just replacing the Cad by itself and starting it up with the old one till we moved to replacing the R7184B unit. It made no difference (and we did try resetting it again after that). Trust me, I was hoping it was only the Cad.

I grew up in Texas so I had a crash course on oil furnace maintenance by my neighbor, so I'm happier and warmer now.

Old 02-09-07, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just a Thought

Hey, it was worth a try. I have not yet run into a problem like yours. In any case, good job. Glad you got 'er fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: