Return air duct in ceiling

Old 02-08-07, 09:37 PM
N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Return air duct in ceiling

My basement originally had one return air duct in the middle of the basement in the ceiling, put in by the builders. When I was building a bedroom in half of the basement(300sq feet) there was not going to be a return air duct. I figured it would be wise to put one in, especially since the main hot air and return pipes for the house run right through the bedroom. I tapped into the return air duct with a T splitter and ran a return air in the ceiling. The hot air vent/register is also in the ceiling about 2-3 feet away from the return air. I've seen very similar setups in offices, resturants, etc but all I really know about HVAC is that hot air rises. The room seems comfortable, considering its in a basement in -30C at the moment. Just looking for comments/feedback.

Old 02-08-07, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

The hot air vent/register is also in the ceiling about 2-3 feet away from the return air.

Id say yes we do it some times. If thats the only way to get the heat and cool air outlets there. But If you check Ill bet the heat register has a angle throw to it to try and cover the room. It all works better If you can get the heat run to the outside wall and blow down so it can like cover the wall with warm air. Then has to come back across the room to the cold air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: