Is this normal cycle rates

Old 02-10-07, 12:49 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal cycle rates

I just put a zone controller and dampers in my house. Added 2 more thermostats. Here is what I am wondering. My old thermostat didn't seem to call for heat that often. But when it did my furnace ran for a while and was off for a while. Now I have one Thermostat that calls for heat every ten minutes. It is 5 degrees out side but is that safe for my furnace to cycle off and on every 10 minutes? My new thermostats can only be adjusted 1.5 degrees either way. My old thermostat was 2 degrees either way. Is this rapid cycle rate ok or should I try and get some thermostats that have a 2 degree swing. Could this be the placement of my thermostats?
I have a single stage heat and cool gas furnace that says it is 93% efficient. IS this short cycle rate going to ruin my furnace?
Thanks for any help I can get. This is a new problem since I put in this zone controller. I just want to make sure this cycle rate isn't going to fry my furnace

Last edited by mjn33jj; 02-10-07 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-10-07, 07:47 AM
I am taking it you got a Honeywell ? If so, change the CPH to 3. I think it's set at 5 now?

Old 02-11-07, 08:58 AM
M
I had a honeywell but I replaced it. That is what I thought the problem was. Replacing it didn't fix it.

Old 02-11-07, 02:48 PM
What model # of t-stat did you get?

Did you check the CPH?

Old 02-11-07, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mjn33jj View Post
I just put a zone controller and dampers in my house. Added 2 more thermostats. Here is what I am wondering. My old thermostat didn't seem to call for heat that often. But when it did my furnace ran for a while and was off for a while. Now I have one Thermostat that calls for heat every ten minutes. It is 5 degrees out side but is that safe for my furnace to cycle off and on every 10 minutes? My new thermostats can only be adjusted 1.5 degrees either way. My old thermostat was 2 degrees either way. Is this rapid cycle rate ok or should I try and get some thermostats that have a 2 degree swing. Could this be the placement of my thermostats?
I have a single stage heat and cool gas furnace that says it is 93% efficient. IS this short cycle rate going to ruin my furnace?
Thanks for any help I can get. This is a new problem since I put in this zone controller. I just want to make sure this cycle rate isn't going to fry my furnace
My furance should be ruined by now if your fear was a real one. I live in a drafty house where in 0 or below weather, my furnace is still blowing air and it is already into the next heating cycle. In otherwords, there are times where it never shuts off! And in 5 degree weather my cycles can be about 5 minutes as a guess. All I have ever had to do to my furnace, ever, in the 21 years I lived there is to change out blower motors. The heat exchanger looks no worse for the useage, either.

Old 02-11-07, 04:19 PM
The cycle rate isn't optimal, but probably ok. Just make sure that the tstat satisfies and the furnace doesn't go off on limit from not moving enough air.

Old 02-11-07, 07:13 PM
M
I put the honeywell vision 8000 tstat on and set the cycle rate to 3. Will this only let it cycle 3 times per hour no matter what the tstat is calling for? I think I now know what the problem is I just don't know how to fix it. The room heats up real fast and the temp drops real fast. The room is over an unheated garage. The furnace is doing what the tstat calls for. Should I put a barometric damper in? Will that help control the airflow to this room?

Old 02-11-07, 07:36 PM
Smile

I couldn't figure out the instant message thing, sorry.

I think the VisionPro adjusts cycle rates from a setting of 0-9, I don't think it corresponds to an exact rate (ie. 3 being 3 cycles per hr) Most systems should cycle 3-6 times/hr. All bets are off if the heat loss is great in that area. It sounds as if this area is loosing heat like crazy, and it's just trying to put it back. You say it heats up fast, so can you close down some registers to lengthen the time it takes to reach temperature? This won't help the losses, but will stop it from cycling it off so quickly.

Old 02-11-07, 08:26 PM
How big is the furnace? (BTU)

How many vent does one zone feed? and how many zone do you have?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: