How do I install a vent free propane Heater?!

Old 02-10-07, 11:26 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow How do I install a vent free propane Heater?!

I bought a new Charmglow 28,000 btu vent free propane heater to put in my basement. I have a propane furnace in the basement and I know I have to tie into the furnace line. I bought a line from Home Depot and a shut off valve, I know I have to turn off the propane supply in the basement and I'm not sure where to turn it off or where to hook my heater's line into my furnace's line. Any help on where, how and how not to lose propane in the process would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-07, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Unvented heater

Do not install it. Take it back to where you bought this dangerous piece of equipment. They are outlawed in some states & should be in all.

Old 02-10-07, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
jwtdw35,

Because of the potential danger of asphyxiation and the harmfull effects of excess humidity you won't get any favorable reviews on these heaters from people who work in the heating industry.
As Grady has said these heaters are banned in many states and Canadian provinces.

It can only be recommended that you return this unit and if you need suplemental heat purchase a vented one.
It also is not permitted to hook this up yourself.
You need a licensed gas fitter and a permit to be safe and keep your homeowner's insurance in force.

Old 02-10-07, 09:53 PM
M
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AND
If you have to ask about a gas line you should not even consider attempting any work...especially propane
Please do not think I am being rude...Safety first

Old 02-10-07, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with all the post.

I had a personal friend who had one that came with the house. He took it out in a week after he moved in.. He was having head ache, lot of water vaper on the windows, he head about the CO and orders. He could not beleave these are still made!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: