My Oil Tank Ran OUt/Now I Won't Start

Old 02-13-07, 10:28 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My Oil Tank Ran OUt/Now I Won't Start

I have a carrier warm air furnace. We ran out of oil the other day and now that it is full again it doesn't want to run. It is about 15 years old and I am not famaliar with how oil heaters work. Any ideas???

Old 02-13-07, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have to prime it at your pump, probably. You have to back off on this screw in the pump. See if you can tell on your oil pump where this is. Then you can run the furnace and back off on the screw with a jar to catch the air-entrained fuel oil until it turns totally liquidy, without the air mixed in, and the furnace should then fire up, and you close down the bleed screw.,

Old 02-13-07, 08:55 PM
C
I had this happen once too. I just wanted to add that its possible that your filter is all clogged with sludge, especially if you have a bottom feed tank. I had to have my filter cleaned out when I ran my tank dry years ago. So much for automatic delivery.

Old 02-14-07, 11:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Carbuff
I had this happen once too. I just wanted to add that its possible that your filter is all clogged with sludge, especially if you have a bottom feed tank. I had to have my filter cleaned out when I ran my tank dry years ago. So much for automatic delivery.
Good point.

In bleeding the pump, that would become apparent because no or hardly no fuel oil would come out at the bleeder on the pump. Then you'd know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: