Gas valve question after adjusting pilot.

Old 02-19-07, 06:12 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas valve question after adjusting pilot.

Hello,
I have a couple of questions and would greatly appreciate any help.

1. I adjusted the pilot flame pressure on a standing pilot furnace with a White Rodgers 36C53-418 Gas Valve. Is it normal for a small amount of gas to leak from adjustment screw hole when the cap screw is not in place? The screw was a little tight to turn, but it was adjusting the size of the flame.
2. I took the pilot assembly out of the furnace and took it apart to clean. When I reassembled and reinstalled it, I had to make the gas tube going into the pilot not just snug, but ultra tight so it wouldn't leak out of the back of the fitting. I know for sure it wasn't cross threaded, I just had to make it really tight for the compression collar to seat. I checked it with soapy water when the pilot was lit, and there where no bubbles. Is this ok?
3. To remove the pilot assembly, I had to move a metal shield, with three screws, out of the way to gain access. At the top of this shield was a strip of a flame retardent cotten like material with a foil backing that was heavily deteriorated. What is it's purpose and should it be replaced?

Again thanks for any information.

Old 02-19-07, 03:24 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
1. Yes, it is normal for a slight leak of gas with the sealing screw removed.

2. Many (most?) gas valve manufacturers recommend using a new ferrule (cut the tube and install a new ferrule) every time the pilot tubing is removed. If you get it to seal without rounding the corners of the nut it is probably okay.

#. I don't know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: