Furnace Ground Wire Question?

Old 03-02-07, 06:53 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace Ground Wire Question?

I recently purchased a rental property and this past week had a problem with the furnace. It turned out to be a dirty flame sensor but the service tech said the furnace is not grounded. The wire coming from the breaker box only has a white and black wire; no green.

Can go to home depot and buy some 14-gauge (green) stranded thhn and ground the furnace to the nearest copper pipe? Or; do I have to hire an electrcian to run new wire (with its own ground wire) back to the service panel?
Thanks,
Phil

Old 03-02-07, 07:47 AM
S
To do correctly, run 14ga. 2 wire w/ground from the breaker to the furnace especially since this is a rental and the liabilities involved with having rentals. You could run it yourself though if you feel comfortable.

Old 03-02-07, 09:11 AM
I agree, it must be run back to the breaker box.

Old 03-02-07, 05:51 PM
P
Thanks guys........

I'll have an electrician come over and do it the right way since I'm not real comfortable about messing around inside the main service panel; plus my step-son (great-kid) is a journeyman electrician and I'll kick his butt if he doesn't do the job for me. (LOL)

I just thought since there was a 3/4" copper water line running right over the furnace I could ground it to that. Good point about it being a rental property and the liabilities involved.
Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: