Part-Time Vent Free In a Garage

Old 03-03-07, 05:03 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Part-Time Vent Free In a Garage

A while back there where some discussions about the dangers of using vent-free heaters inside the home but what about in the garage.

I like to do my own oil changes,brake jobs and other small repairs but the Michigan winters sometimes prevent me from working in my garage.

These little vent-free heaters are quite cheap and put out a lot of heat fast. Would it be alright to mount one of these heaters one my garage wall and run it just when I'm working in the garage? (not as a continuous heat source)

Thanks,
Phil

Old 03-03-07, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
A lot of people do it but I still wouldn't myself.

In a garage for occasional use would pose less risk than using it in a home as a heat source.
However there is a problem with combustion as cheap as they are I personally wouldn't trust the oxygen depletion sensor these things use.
If you buy a cheap one would they spend money putting in a good sensor.

If used in a vehicle garage it would have to at least be 5 feet off the floor in case of low lying gas fumes.

One problem you are guaranteed to have is in cold weather your tools will accumulate moisture which will cause them to rust.

We learn by experience........I used a vent free years ago while I was upgrading the wiring in my small shop in the middle of winter.
I wound up totally coating a dissasembled small block chevy engine that was under a blanket with rust!

If you do want to try it another thing to check is to see if they are allowed by code to be used in your jusisdiction.
Also, it would be a good idea to check with your insurance company to see if they would have any problems with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: