need help with furnace b-4 calling in a pro

Old 03-03-07, 08:44 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy need help with furnace b-4 calling in a pro

If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. I've got a problem with my Janitrol gas furnace that I first noticed about two weeks ago. The gas will fire properly and the fan will turn itself on, but suddenly the gas will turn itself off and continue to refire several times before shutting itself off. The fan on the furnace will continue to run almost the whole time during this cycle, shutting off only from time to time to let the gas refire, which will but almost just as the fan comes on the gas will shut off.This happens about every 25-30 mins. I have a White Rodgers programable tstat model #1F80-51, but its an older model. I also have an electric air cleaner but I keep the filters pretty clean. I think it might be the tstat but if anyone has any advice it would be ggrreeatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-07, 10:06 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It certainly sounds like the flame sensor. Try this and you should be back in business. Remove the upper door to the furnace. On the right side of the burners you will see a metal rod sticking up in the path of the flame. The rod has one wire attached and is held in place by one screw. Remove the rod and clean it by wiping with very fine steel wool. A few lengthwise strokes should do it. You don't want to remove metal, just clean it. Reinstall and fire the furnace. Let us know if it still has problems, but I think this will fix it.

Old 03-03-07, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Janitrol

The flame sensor could be the problem BUT the fact it happens when the fan comes on & with Janitrol's history of heat exchanger failures, I am suspecting a failed heat exchanger causing the flame to either be blown away from the flame sensor or onto a roll out switch. I strongly suggest getting a pro to look at it pronto. An experienced eye can often pick up on a potential problem just by watching the flame.

Once the pro looks at it, please post back with the results.

Old 03-04-07, 10:56 AM
D
Smile Thanks goldstar

I went out yesterday and bought some steel wool and cleaned the flame sensor. I spent the better part of the afternoon and evening observing the operation of my furnace and it seems to have done the trick. Once I fired the furnace back up it was all systems opperating as normal. I will continue to keep an eye on it in case it is a failed heat exchanger and I will post back if anything changes. Once again, I want to thank both goldstar and Grady for their input!!

Old 03-04-07, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I will continue to keep an eye on it in case it is a failed heat exchanger and I will post back if anything changes.

Might look at the flame and see if it blowes around a little .Or like leans over some when the blowe comes on.

Old 03-04-07, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
DaveBob

Glad you got the furnace up & running. Just as a precaution & the fact that every manufacturer of every piece of fuel burning equipment made specifies it in their owner's manual, have the furnace checked by a reputable professional. We are here to help & at the same time are concerned about the safety of our members.

Old 03-08-07, 09:12 AM
B
bleeding the furnance

Can someone tell me how to bleed the line on my oil furance.

Old 03-08-07, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

blondie58
On the side of the oil pump there is a small like plug .Some you can put a hose on . Some you just back it out some let oil run in a can. then with the burner turned on open it and let air out. Run till you get a good flow of oil then tighen it and the burner should light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: