help! oil furnace won't fire

Old 03-03-07, 12:30 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help! oil furnace won't fire

i have checked everything, transformer is fine, ignitors fine, new nozzle, plenty fuel cant figure out why it wont fire any suggestions? thanks

Old 03-03-07, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is anything trying to come on/run at start up?

Old 03-03-07, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Like said what works ????? If you have oil and you say transformer is good .All set right some times the insulators can leak and short out so it dont light

Old 03-03-07, 01:01 PM
M
yes it starts up pushes fuel in but just wont fire, transformer had good spark and ignitors are clean and adjusted properly according to man specs

Old 03-03-07, 01:11 PM
Give us some history.

Did suddenly, for no reason, your house get cold and you go down there and check everything out that it is all ok (according to you), but no longer works? Or, did you run your tank out of fuel and had it refilled? Have you been repeatedly trying to reset it (a no-no) since the first malfunction?

Old 03-03-07, 01:14 PM
M
going to store to get knew ignitors and insulators right now will let you know how i make out thanks!

Old 03-03-07, 01:22 PM
M
daveboy.......sorry didnt see last post .....yes furnace shut shut off didnt run out of fuel but changed nozzle anyway has clogged in past, also already burned excess fuel out with lit newspaper, had heat tech show me how to do that a few years back when transformer went and we it reset to many time.....learned that lesson!!!! thanks! also we replaced pump last year and checked oil pressure yesterday and its good. again thanks for help

Old 03-03-07, 01:33 PM
What kind of store?

And post back results AND if you notice some visual difference between your new parts and old ones. Just curious. And if old electrodes were clean.

Old 03-03-07, 02:51 PM
M
all fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!

about 20 min drive from my house there is a store called allen and palmer plumbing and heating and hardware, if one of the servicemen are in the shop (usually are) they will help you with just about anything and sooooo.........he hooked ignition assembly up to a transformer and found that the insulator was shorting out! in the spot it was shorting out there was a crack barely visible. so i bought one isulator (other was fine)and just put it in and wa la it fired right up! KUDOS to ed!!!!!! also the other ones were all clean and looked to be in great shape. learned alot today service guy showed me how to test for spark at tips of electodes! again thankyou for tips and would never have thought it was insulator ...appeared in great shape but was willing to try anything...thanks soooo much

Old 03-03-07, 03:11 PM
Thanks for posting back results and now someone else might learn something, too.

Extemely high voltage can cause current to leak out where you do not want it. 20,000-50,000 volt car coils can do the same thing and cause spark to track down some invisible crack and/or carbon track.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: