Loud noise from Blower - intermittently goes on

Old 03-06-07, 09:24 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Loud noise from Blower - intermittently goes on

My Snyder General furnace is igniting, but the blower is not always working. I noticed a loud buzzing noise (as if it were trying to start up) yesterday, but later in the day the blower was working fine. Last night I woke up and the temperature was down 10 degrees, so it must have quit working again. This morning the blower made the noise, and after some time started up. I turned the wheel to see if there was any obstruction, and found nothing. Right now, no blower....just buzzing noise.

Do I need to replace the motor? Problem is that I can't get to the bolts, looks like I will have to call for service

Just had the transformer replaced two weeks ago....don't want to pay for another service call!!

Any help is appreciated!

Old 03-06-07, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Buzzing noise

From your description, it sounds like the blower motor has gone bad.

Old 03-06-07, 06:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What type of furnace do you have an where is it located? Like...is this a forced air gas furnace located in your basement? Oil forced air located in basement? Where is the blower compartment located?; down by the floor?

It could be possible to guide you further if you are handy. If you are not hardly mechanically inclined, I wouldn't bother. If you are afraid of some service call like $75 an hour or something, you might look into finding some handy person who has done several of these motor change outs before.

Often what happens in a motor that just hums, yet you can spin them when the furnace is off and or not calling for the fan to run at the moment, is that when the fan gets energized, if you were to try to spin the blower wheel at that time, you would notice that the blower wheel may not even want to hardly spin...like it becomes magnetically attracted to a spot. Not seized. There is a difference here. (Seizing is more associated with either a bad motor bearing or blower wheel bearing.) It is more like the behavior of how a compass wants to lock into 'north' and if you move the needle, it goes back to north. If your motor does this, with the hum coming from the motor, and not elsewhwere...as Grady said, it could very well be your motor.

I am a daring sort and carefully reach in there and try to spin the blower wheel when energized, to check out the behavior I just mentioned. But a novice would not want the blower wheel suddenly spinning and lopping some foingers. So, you could try to use some kind of would or plastic tool to nudge it with. Now, if it starts spinning and running just fine...then it's possible that the motor is okay and your capacitor is bad. But both the motor and the capacitor could be tested to find out which is the culprit.

Old 03-06-07, 06:59 PM
A
Cool

I also think it is the cap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: