30 degree nozzle

Old 03-07-07, 09:58 AM
Question 30 degree nozzle

Hi
I'm trying to find a Monarch MTD 92 1.00 30deg.R nozzle for my Weil Mclain oil burner.
I searched on the web and also called many suppliers but it seems that they cannot get me one. Can I switch to a different angle nozzle??
Thanks, Angelo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-07, 02:26 PM
Are you sure its a 30degree and not a 80degree? Where did you get the Monarch MTD 92 1.00 30deg.R from?

Old 03-07-07, 03:37 PM
Hi Adam
I got this info from the nozzle itself when I took it out to check a fuel leak.
It is a 30deg nozzle listed on this site

http://www.monarchnozzles.com/4_2.htm

This is an old weil mclain model 45 hot water heat oil fired boiler.I just bought the house. The nozzle was just about embeded in a thick black wet crust and the ignitors were spaced about 3/8" apart and far from the end position.
I have all the original installation and parts booklets and manuals for this boiler (found them in the basement!)
I think the nozzle is dripping somewhat because it was still wet and the black (carbon) is forming again after a couple of weeks of use

Thanks, Angelo

Old 03-07-07, 05:15 PM
Are there other numbers besides Model 45? I'm trying to find the furnace. I've never seen a 30degree nozzle before. Any chance you can post a picture? Sometimes, depending on the burner, a little oil will leak out of the nozzle assembly when it turns off.

Old 03-07-07, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nozzle

The installation manual for the boiler should tell you the correct nozzle for this boiler. If it does not, I suggest you contact Monarch with any information you have about the boiler, burner, & nozzle. IF that is the correct nozzle for the boiler & it is still available, your distributor will have to order them from Monarch & buy a full box (12 nozzles). I'm sure you, in turn, will have to buy the whole box from the distributor. Another option is to contact Weil-McLain.

Old 03-09-07, 05:09 AM
Ok, I got it figured out . In the Weil McLain booklet from 1960, which I have, they list a 60 to 90 deg 1.25 solid Delavan nozzle for use with this boiler.
The 30 deg nozzle in there now was put in at some later time.
Like adam said, he never heard of a 30 deg nozzle, many of the places I contacted never did either. Only Monarch manufactured them and I guess that was the only one a repair person had at the time, or the owner installed himself.
I'll pick up a a new one today and see how that works out.
Thanks, Adam & Grady for your replies

Angelo

Old 03-09-07, 06:06 AM
Thats a really old furnace! You might want to consider saving some money for a new furnace. It will be much smaller(I'm goin to guess you have a huge furnace) and hold less water so it will be more efficient. But good luck with changing the nozzle. If the retention head is on the burner then a 70 or 80 degree should work pretty good. If the retention head is on the nozzle assembly, then try a 60 degree. I can't guarentee anything without seeing the burner so good luck!

Old 03-09-07, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nozzle angle

Adam is right about the angle selection. If the retention head comes out with the nozzle tube, start with a 60. If it does not, probably an 80 would be a good place to start. You don't want the flame tips hitting the sides (and preferably not the back either) of the combustion chamber. You may have to get a selection of nozzles & keep changing until you get the flame pattern you want.
BTW, Delavan also makes 30 nozzles. While looking on the nozzle rack at work today, I saw some 1.00 x 30 W nozzles we got for use in a customer's paving machine.

Old 03-10-07, 05:57 AM
Just to keep the record straight, the wildly popular Bethlehem Dynatherm used 30 degree nozzles. The boilers were manufactured in my area and were very popular. They were very different in how they were setup and designed but they were clean burning and efficient for their time. That is why the 30 degree nozles are common in my area. I do agree that there are very few oil burners that need that nozzle. Some of the larger weil mclain commercial burners used them. I think I have a 6.00 30P for a big steam boiler. Anyway, I seriously doubt that your boiler/burner need that nozzle and you can probably get as good or better combustion from a different nozzle. Hopefully you find the correct spec for it.

Ken

Old 03-10-07, 06:45 AM
The retention head is on the burner. I picked up an 80 deg 1.00 solid. Seems ok.

Angelo

Old 03-10-07, 12:04 PM
Good to hear! Make sure to check the smoke going out the chimney and make sure it is not grey or black. White or blue smoke is OK. If its grey or black, the furnace will soot up.