oil burner will not start on it's own.

Old 03-12-07, 01:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil burner will not start on it's own.

hey guys,
what i have is a dunkirk empire II boiler with a carlin burner.(new in 2000) the problem i'm having is the boiler will only start and run when i press the reset button on the burner. the direct vent turns on and runs then turns off when the burner doesn't light then 20 seconds later it does it again, and again.... but if i press the reset for 3 seconds the burner starts, runs fine for one "cycle" then shuts down and won't start on it's own again. i opened the boiler box this morning and vacuumed out a bunch of brown/orange scaly looking crap(almost like rust.) but it didn't help.(not that i really thought it would)
this just started happening last saturday, then it just stopped and worked fine all week but now the gremlin is back.
what are your thoughts? what should be the next step?
thanks alot, jared

Old 03-12-07, 01:22 PM
Wink

Do you have the burner looked at and clean each year??? cleaned, new nozzle ,set electrodes new oil filter.set and check the burner ,draft ,smoke, CO2. Check the transformer. Pump psi. What all has been done????????

Old 03-12-07, 01:36 PM
J
actually i just bought the house 6 months ago. so i haven't done anything yet.
the guy i bought the house from is a hvac tech. and he claims he cleaned it before the closing but i don't know how true that is. a friend of mine who does commercial hvac for a living is coming to look at it tonight but i wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

i forgot to mention that a couple of times it did fire but only for a second then it died again. kinda like a car that wants to start but sputters.

Last edited by jroddvette; 03-12-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-12-07, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Burner Won't Fire

I suggest servicing the fuel system (filter, pump screen, nozzle) for starters. Clean the retention head, clean & adjust the electrodes to factory specs. If the burner is equipped with a fuel solenoid, be sure to check it as well.

Old 03-13-07, 06:07 AM
J
Wink

thanks for the info fellas.

Old 03-13-07, 06:14 AM
J
Wink

thanks for the info fellas.
last night my buddy came over, we got it running by pushing the reset button and he opened the sight hole on the boiler and put his hand near it and felt the heat coming out the hole instead of it going out the power vent. so we took the top apart and cleaned the heat exchanger with some brushes and it seams to be working fine now. there was quite a bit of soot up there.

this weekend we are going to replace the filter etc. and tune it up with his combustion analyzer. so hopefully we should be good to go then.
and i'll get some first hand experience with servicing this thing.

a big thank you for answering my question guys!
-jared

Old 03-17-07, 03:48 PM
A
Sometimes the worst taken care of furnace is the one in a HVAC techs house(meh, I'll fix it when it breaks. I got the parts on hand).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: