York Diamond 90 not lighting off

Old 03-13-07, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation York Diamond 90 not lighting off

I have a York Diamond 90 installed in 2001. Thus far this year it has worked great, but a few days ago I noticed my house starting to get a little chilly. Temp was 10 degrees down from tstat set. I checked the furnace and the HSI was not igniting. I reset the system twice, once by removing the Air Intake Panel at the bottom to trip the failsafe, and then once from the house breaker. I checked the gas line again and it is pushing gas. My water heater makes hot water, and my basement heater is pushing hot air. The HSI is about 4 months old, the old one was cracked. I inspected this one, and it is not cracked. Nothing smells funny, no wires are cut or burned, and nothing looks yanked out if its place. I haven't been able to find any fuses inside the united itself, but then again I might be looking in the wrong spot. It was all working fine and dandy, and now *poof* it is not. Nothing has changed in its settings. The Tstat has been the same for 5 months, no gas lines have been adjusted, and I pay all my bills a month in advance. Any advice is greatly appreciated, because I live in Alaska, and we still have another month of winter. Thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-07, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For your HSI to glow a sequence must begin. The stat must call for heat. Then a relay (sometimes called a sequencer) sends power to the inducer motor in maybe 30 seconds. That inducer motor MUST run before your HSI will glow. Next, with the inducer going, saftey switches in series must be working along the 24 volt line, like the pressure switch and flame roll out sensor. THEN the ignition control module (that plastic box with 5 or 6 wires hooked up to spade connectors on it)...or maybe in your case an open solid state circuit board, will order the HSI to glow. You may or may not also have a switched damper control also that could be in this sequence.

Old 03-13-07, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you have, or can barrow a volt meter, turn off the main power to the furnace, unplug the HSI and wire the meter to the terminal board plug. Set the meter for 120 volts and fire up the furnace. The purge blower should come on and after a few seconds the meter should show voltage. If you get voltage, the HSI is bad-again. I had one last one month. Of course they don't warrant them

Old 03-14-07, 01:39 AM
Thumbs up

After I posted, I started tinkering again. On the circuit board near the fan there is a little light. After tinkering I found that the light is a fault indicator, and the legend for the indicator was on the panel. I got 4 blinks which means that I have a bad High Limit Switch. Tried resetting it SEVERAL times to no avail, so I will get a new one tomorrow. Almost completely sure this will fix the problem, but nothing is absolute until she's making heat again. Thanx for the help, it is greatly appreciated and falls on attentive ears.

Old 03-14-07, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Now if this was me, I'd be testing the high limit for juice in and out (closed). By reseting it, what happened for you? Did you find a little pop-up pin to push in and it never made the click sound? It is possible it is not the high limit. Testing the leads would confirm it. I have seen too many times where the legends, as you call them, are incorrect as to the underlying cause. It may be that the limit line may not have power. But then again something else might not have power either.

This COULD be your problem. But I am just saying. It is not in my being to being a parts changer without verification.