Weak flame

Old 03-20-07, 05:52 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Weak flame

Hi folks,
I have had to put in a 2-line top feed system into my oil tank on my mobile home. Recently I ran out of oil, called the oil company and had half a tank of oil added. At this point I was worried that it may not just be a low oil issue, that my furnace pump may have been hurt.

I made the mistake of running the furnace almost immediately after the tank was filled, as I wanted to know if no oil was the issue with my furnace. It came back on and ran well.

Woke up this morning to a thermostat calling for heat, but the control was tripped out. I reset the control and the burner lit, only to cut out after 45 seconds. I hit the reset button again and the burner lit and stayed on this time.

I noticed as it ran, the blower seemed to cycle quite frequently which led me to believe the furnace may not be heating up properly, although it may be because it had not run in neary 24 hours. I checked the flame and it looked a little weak, but there was still a flame.

Could this possibly be a partially plugged nozzle due to me running the furnace too quickly after a fill?

Old 03-20-07, 02:15 PM
G
Cool

Weird. I went to work today, and the furnace is now working again. Could something like an air bubble have gotten caught in the nozzle and temporarily stopped the flow of oil?

Old 03-20-07, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Oil burner

The fan was probably cycling because it was cold in the house & it cooled off the air going across the sensor which controls the fan. It is possible you picked up some junk & contaminated the nozzle as well. Air is also a possibility but I doubt it if the furnace ran ok for more than just a few minutes.

Old 03-20-07, 08:14 PM
A
The great thing about a 2 line system is that it will bleed itsself out. Are you sure when it timed out it wasn't just done bleeding itsself? Just because its making noises doesn't mean the fire is on. Air won't stop the flow of oil as long as its past the oil pump. On the newer systems tho(within the last few years), the transformer will only run for about 5 seconds, after that it turns off. So if you were to lose your oil flow out of your nozzle, you would lose the fire and the reset button will trip. The fan cycling was probably because instead of flowing 60degree air through it, it may have been 50 so it cooled the furnace down quicker.

Old 03-22-07, 04:00 AM
G
Red face

Well, the same thing happened again last night. Furnace never came on during the night. I got up this morning and had to hit the reset button twice. The second time, same as last time, it stayed on and running. Twice this only happened at night, and this only started occurring after I ran out of oil. Ran fine before the oil fill-up. Hopefully running out of oil has not damaged my pump! Is this a possibility?

Old 03-22-07, 04:00 PM
A
Call your furnace technician and tell them what happened and they will probably change the pump strainer and nozzle. That will fix the problem

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: