furnace stuck in 1-hr lockout

Old 03-28-07, 10:30 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
furnace stuck in 1-hr lockout

I have a RUUD UGPH-05NAUER. It's in my basement and sits on the floor, which got flooded (about an inch of water accumulated in that area) when a hot water heater burst a couple of days ago. The heater stopped working and went into a 1-hr lockout mode (one blink on the control board). I unplugged the heater because I assumed it would be best to keep power off while the room was drying out. I believe the area around the heater is dry now, and I turned the power back on, but it tried to light and wasn't able. I can smell the gas so I don't think that's the problem, and it does try 4 times to light as it says it should. The blower runs for a couple of minutes inbetween the second and third attempt, as it says it should. But the burners aren't lighting. And the burners are not near the floor- I can't see how they would have actually gotten wet, but maybe they're that sensitive to humidity?

The furnace keeps trying to light again, each hour so far, as I assume it should.

I've looked at the troubleshooting guide, and one of the things it mentions is the gas valve relay, but I can't figure out where that is. I have very little idea what I'm looking at, truthfully. So what damage should I expect water or humidity to have done, and how can I test or reset whatever it is? I know it's conceivable that the water is unrelated but the chances of the two appliances going bad at the same time seem so slim...

Thanks!

Old 03-29-07, 07:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You first talk about a water heater. Then start talking about a heater. Then switch to the word furnace. Did you mean to say "furnace" for all those times after you talked about the water heater, but used the word heater instead fo furnace?

What kind of ignitor do you have, exactly. Be very specific in what kind you have; if it sparks,..or if it glows,...or if it sparks makes to make a pilot stay lit.

And how far up of fthe floor or abovce wher eyho knew wqater got that the ignitor-pilot-burner area to your furnace is.

I recently had a modern electronic ignition-to-pilot water heater that would not go due to 2 inches of water that flooded the laundry/water heater room and it got in the fresh air vent passageways and cause the pilot and burner to snuf out every time I reinstalled the front (sealed )cover which caused all the fresh air to come through the moisture laden vents at the floor. Only till the next day was I able to put the cover back on, after the heat from the burner running dried it all out.

But surely, your distance to this is much more higher off the floor, right?

After you post back we can maybe figure out if your scenario and mine share common parts/characteristics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: