Sealant for copper flare fittings?

Old 04-01-07, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealant for copper flare fittings?

When connecting a flared copper fuel oil line to a brass union or valve, should I use any kind of sealant on this? I didnt think so, but when I recently took apart some old copper lines from my old tank I noticed that there was some type of hardened sealant on the threads and where the nut contacts the copper pipe on the flare. (20 year old coupling) Is this needed on a new installation?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-07, 04:30 AM
A flared fitting should not need any type of sealant.

Old 04-02-07, 08:53 AM
Thanks, I didnt think so, but wanted to make sure that it wasnt some "fuel oil only" thing that I didnt know about.

Old 04-02-07, 09:50 AM
I would double flare though, less chance of cracking.

Old 04-02-07, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Carbuff,
I agree that no sealant is needed.
If a flare does not seal it is usually because the flare has flattened out and needs to be replaced.

The only thing you can do to help a flare is to put a tiny drop of oil where the flare nut contacts the copper flare.
This allows the mating surface between the nut and copper to slide smoothly as it is tightened.

Old 04-02-07, 10:33 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I like to put a little thread sealant on just to help it thread a little easer.

Old 04-02-07, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
I like to put a little thread sealant on just to help it thread a little easer.
That must be what they did. There was this hardened grey stuff on the threads and all over the copper line for an inch after the nut. There was plenty of oil for lube for the new fitting as I had to bleed it at this point. Its all fine now and no leaks. I now have a one big spin on filter in the supply on the wall. I also have the two induvidual filters still for the 2 units (furnace, water heater) on the floor. Do I need them anymore? Do you think I can just remove them and replace them with new solid feed lines? I dont need 3 filters, right?

Old 04-02-07, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Flares/Filters

Never, ever, use any kind of sealant on the flares. To do so risks damage to the pump should any of the sealant manage to get into the fitting. A drop of motor oil on the face of the fitting is a good idea. I feel double flaring to be overkill & unless you are very good at it, you increase the risk of a leak. Double flares are normally only used on high pressure applications such as brake lines.

I am a firm believer in the theory of no such thing as too much filtration. I have had two filters on my system since day one. It is common practice today to install a primary filter at or near the tank & a secondary, finer, filter as near the burner as possible.

Old 04-03-07, 09:26 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I feel double flaring to be overkill & unless you are very good at it, you increase the risk of a leak. Double flares are normally only used on high pressure applications such as brake lines.
Grady next time you remove a copper flared line look and you will see how thin the flare gets squeezed, copper is soft. After doing my first copper double flare, and seeing how good they looked, never will single flare copper again. I did all my 2 tank plumbing and my camp gas lines double flare.
Actually copper double flare is easy compared to steel, which is near impossible to get right.
It was a no brainer for me I have a full set of double flare adapters.

Old 04-03-07, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
A single flare even with the concerns over CFC ("Freon") leakage is still the standard in the refrigeration/ac trade.
Applying sealant to a flared fitting goes against what is accepted as standard practice in the trade.
It is true that a copper flare has a limited life but the most common reason for the copper to thin out is to not oil the back side of the flare to allow the nut to compress the copper without distorting it.

A double flare on steel brake lines is needed not only because of the higher pressures but also because of the fact that steel will not compress like copper.
The double thickness allows for some compression of the flare.
In the refrigeration trade for steel single flares or even a brass to brass flare fitting a copper flare gasket is used.