A/C coil cause high heating bill???...

Old 04-07-07, 04:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C coil cause high heating bill???...

I am in NJ and still need heating. Our heating bill for this winter (EVERY MONTH) is much higher than last winter(2005). A contractor checked presure and said no problem for that but recommended to change the gas meter. After did that, still the same problem.
When Second contractor came, I told him there was water leak once in the Coil (on the top furnace) AT LAST SUMMER. Then he said the coil was cloged and asked us to buy new coil since our unit was old (13 y/o AC and 20 y/o furnace). He said air flow is kind of low since that. I forgot to ask him that is evaporator coil or condenser coil. some other question:
1. I am not sure if he is right. Any other reason to cause the problem.
2. Can we clean the coil? is it easy or how?
3. If need replace the old coil, any brand is match?
4. Which brand is cheap? we are not plan to stay here many years.

Thanks a lot.

Bop

Old 04-07-07, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Coil

A clogged coil will cause a high heating bill. You can brush the inlet side of the coil with a moderately stiff brush (toilet brush works well) to remove dust & lint. Make sure to brush in the direction of the fins, not across them. They will bend easily & block even more air. If this furnace is an upflow model (blower on the bottom & coil on top) and you had a water leak, I suggest getting a pro to examine the heat exchanger. Leaks can often lead to heat exchangers rusting out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: