Weil-McLain Furnace problems

Old 04-16-07, 06:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weil-McLain Furnace problems

Hello all,

Dumb grunt here...and I bought the house from hell. The latest problem is with my Weil-McLain PCG-6 Series 5 gas heater. I always had problems with the zones, as during remodleing and construction I believe at least one of the thermostats ended up missing. Throughout the winter, everything seemed fine albiet with high electric bills.

During the recent cold snap we noticed the house was bitterly cold, and despite turning the working thermostats up nothing was happening. I checked the pilot light and it is on, but the burners are not lighting. Nor have I heard the circulating pump kick on.

I am a plumber/piperfitter by trade, but at a loss when it comes to gas furnances. Can anyone point me in the right direction to correct this?

Old 04-16-07, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Weil-McLain

I looked at W/M's web site & could find nothing on a PCG boiler, so let's start with the basics. Make sure the breaker is on, any switches are on, & the gas valve is set to "on" & not "pilot". Beyond that, we will need to get into the electrical controls. Do you have a volt meter & know how to use it?

Old 04-16-07, 05:23 PM
S
Talking

I broke down and called a professional today. I looked at other posts and checked everything that I could. So at this point, I am sure its an expensive electrical component or other item that will require a service tech.

Just another thing wrong with my money pit..LOL. Worse is, I pay to fix it now, and were back in the 60's and higher for the rest of the season...if I dont, theres bound to be another cold snap. Just my bad luck.

I appreciate your response and all the other help given on this page! I am going to start posting fixes and recomendations in the plumbing section to help out. Thanks again, take care and be safe!

Old 04-21-07, 03:12 PM
S
Exclamation Darn Cats

You guys wont believe this, but apparently my cats (or at least one of them) got into the wiring and disconnected the signal wires from the boiler to the automatic valves.

I have four zones, and the guy I bought the house from used phone wire for the thermostat and other low voltage wiring and its hangin in the basement all over. Aparently this is attractive to felines LOL :-)

Thanks again all

Old 04-21-07, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Cats

They can be pesky critters. Glad it was only minimally painful. I do suggest you replace all of that phone wire with 18 gauge thermostat wire. If the felines like to chew on it, you can get armored thermostat wire but it is hard to find & expensive. I had to use it in my attic because of meeses. Maybe I can borrow one of your cats. LOL.

I'm sure the guys on the plumbing board will appreciate the help. Welcome Aboard.

Old 11-08-07, 07:56 PM
H
weil mclain boiler

Originally Posted by SFC_Assanowicz
Hello all,

Dumb grunt here...and I bought the house from hell. The latest problem is with my Weil-McLain PCG-6 Series 5 gas heater. I always had problems with the zones, as during remodleing and construction I believe at least one of the thermostats ended up missing. Throughout the winter, everything seemed fine albiet with high electric bills.

During the recent cold snap we noticed the house was bitterly cold, and despite turning the working thermostats up nothing was happening. I checked the pilot light and it is on, but the burners are not lighting. Nor have I heard the circulating pump kick on.

I am a plumber/piperfitter by trade, but at a loss when it comes to gas furnances. Can anyone point me in the right direction to correct this?
ran across this older thread and thought i should share some insight into the pcg series boilers. these are now obsolete so no parts are available from weil mclain so keep that in mind, also if you have any other probles down the road, the flue in these boilers is difficult to clean as it is made up of many small fingers to extract the heat, a long skinny brush and lots of time is necessary to do an adequate job of cleaning

Old 10-27-08, 07:16 AM
G
I have a Weil-McLain p-cg 5 water boiler. It is about 26 years old. My problem is that it short cycles alot. I have ajusted the thermostat anticapater. It still does it. I would appreciate any help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: