furnace stopped working

Old 05-16-07, 05:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
furnace stopped working

My furnace does not work all of a sudden.... I checked the breaker and it is fine... when i turn the thermastat up nothing happens, the thermastat clicks like normal but nothing happens with the furnace, the blower does not come on or anything,, what should i check first.. I have about 1/4 tank of oil mabey a little less...

Old 05-17-07, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
No Heat

Check any switches on or near the heater to insure they are turned on especially if there is one on the wall as you go down the basement. It is not unusual for that emergency switch to get turned off by accident.

Have you tried to press the red reset button on the burner? If you have not, try it one time only. Do you have a volt meter, know how to use it, & are not afraid of working on live electrical circuits?

Old 05-17-07, 04:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the help.. it was the reset switch!!!!

Old 05-18-07, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Reset

That reset tripped for a reason, any of a thousand reasons but a reason. It most likely will happen again. Now that you have it up & running again, I suggest you contact your service company to get the heater cleaned & serviced. When you do, be sure to tell them about having to reset the burner. It is probably something simple but not always.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: