Pilot light will not stay lit

Old 06-17-07, 08:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot light will not stay lit

I have a propane pool heater and the pilot light will not stay lit. I have replaced the thermal couple (generator) and the propane valve. When I hold down the pilot switch to light the pilot, all goes well. If I continue to hold the pilot switch down, the pilot light stays lit. After several minutes I am generating 13 millivolts from the thermal couple. When I release the pilot switch and let it pop up, the pilot goes out. Again, I have replaced the thermal couple and the propane valve. Also, I have cleaned and replaced all the wiring terminals and all circuits test good. Any ideas????

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-07, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
13 mV

You are not generating enough current to hold the pilot valve open. A standard thermocouple should produce a nominal 30 mV. Try removing & cleaning the pilot burner. There could be some debris restricting it.

Old 06-18-07, 02:12 AM
H
I second Grady's motion. Check your pilot burner. If you can see the pilot while you are trying to light it, the pilot flame should be hitting (and surrounding) the top third of the pilot generator.

Additionally, if your pool heater has a pilot generator (thermopile) as opposed to a thermocouple you should be getting readings of 450mv. One way to know for sure if it's a thermocouple or thermo pile is the thermopile has a two wire lead going to the gas valve. Thermocouples have a coaxial.

Old 11-22-07, 09:21 AM
F
Same problem ? Pilot light does not stay on but Thermopile voltage looks ok !!??

Hi,

I have an Empire heating System Direct Vent Wall Furnace DV-210-7SG.
I can lit the pilot light with either a match or the piezo but it does not stay on after I release the knob.

However I checked all the voltages according to the manual:
1- Across the thermopile terminals: 400-500mv with thermosta OFF
2- Across the thermopile terminals: 150-250mv with thermosta ON
3- Across the thermosta wires at the valve: less than 30mv with thermosta ON

Everything is fine. So basically isn't this telling me that my Thermopile is working fine ? and if yes then why would the pilot light not stay on.

Now there are 2 more questions :
a) The pilot light does not really surround the thermopile as it says it should in the manual. But whatever it does seems to be good enough since I am getting the right voltage, and this is all that matters , right ??
b) The manual says that the pilot light going out when the knob is released could be caused by either a defective thermopile or a "defective magnet in safety section of the valve". What is that ? How can I check it ? And is it something I can repair myself safely or does it involve working with gas lines to replace the valve ?

Any help would be greatly welcome as it is almost 30F here now (4000 feet).
Thank you.

Old 11-22-07, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Frenchguy

You will probably need another pair of hands or clips on the meter leads but you need to disconnect the wires from the gas valve, connect the meter to the wires, light the pilot, & check voltage. This current is DC in case your meter needs to set for AC or DC. If the voltage is right according to the manual, the thermopile seems to be OK.

To check the gas valve, you can check for continuity across it's powerpile terminals. No continuity = bad magnetic coil = new gas valve.

Old 11-23-07, 09:41 PM
F
Thermopile or valve problem

Grady,

Thanks for your help. I got it to work last night by doing some rewiring. It turned out that the valve (or thermopile (-) pole) was not grounded. The thermopile is ok.

For future reference (cause I am pretty sure I am going to have more problems with that thing), gow do you check for continuity across it's powerpile terminals ? What does "continuity" mean ?

Thanks !

Originally Posted by Grady View Post
You will probably need another pair of hands or clips on the meter leads but you need to disconnect the wires from the gas valve, connect the meter to the wires, light the pilot, & check voltage. This current is DC in case your meter needs to set for AC or DC. If the voltage is right according to the manual, the thermopile seems to be OK.

To check the gas valve, you can check for continuity across it's powerpile terminals. No continuity = bad magnetic coil = new gas valve.