Propane tank ownership

Old 07-10-07, 08:21 AM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane tank ownership

I have an underground propane tank that was replaced early last year. It is owned by the propane company so it was done at no cost to me. The company wanted to replace the line from the tank to my house at the same time but the line goes under the driveway so they could not. I will probably replace my driveway this year and would like to do the line to the house when the driveway is taken out.

When I called up the propane company they said they just owned the tank and not the line so I would have to pay for the cost. Yet from what I understand I thought they were responsible for the tank and line up until it reached my house, then I was responsible for everything inside. Does anyone else own their tank and know how their agreement works?

Also, the line is about 28 years old. Do they last for awhile? Would it be worth it to replace while the driveway is up? I'd hate to think if there was a small leak and I was losing propane before it reached the house. I was quoted a price of $4 per foot for material plus labor. Thanks.

Old 07-10-07, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Gas Line

In general, the tank & regualtor are owned by the propane supplier & thereby are the propane company's responsibily & anything downstream of the regulator is the property & responsibility of the homeowner.
With the line being as old as it is, I suggest replacement with plastic covered stainless steel. I do not recommend copper unless it is plastic covered.

Old 07-11-07, 05:44 AM
H
In most cases with company owned propane tanks, the company is responsive for the tank and the regulator. Anything after the regulator is the homeowners responsibility.

I too would go for replacing the line. Chances are the existing line is bare copper tubing which can deteriorate over time depending on the soil composition. As Grady said, make sure you get coated copper, stainless steel tubing rated for underground use or polyethylene tubing. All are approved for underground use however local code prevails. Your propane company should know what's appropriate for your system.

Old 07-11-07, 10:14 AM
H
Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and get the quote. Seems like something I should do now. I certainly don't want a problem once the new driveway is in!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: